Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Getting ready for TAT ride on R²

Go down 
+8
Bob
mtb
Krabill
SheWolf
Notsolegit
YamWOW!
Chrispy1200
10Cup
12 posters
AuthorMessage
10Cup

10Cup

Getting ready for TAT ride on R² Empty
PostSubject: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyThu May 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, I thought I was ready and took my little bike out for a test ride all loaded up and ready to go. Found out I had too much weight on the rear and at about 65-70 it wanted to start tank slapping when I got in behind traffic on the freeway. Granted I don't plan much freeway riding but wanted a worst case test. Did not expect this as I have about 29 lbs on the tail and the same approx in the dirt bagz. Anyway I guess I'll have to flea bag it because I cannot haul all this weight on the short wheel base R².

Don't know if anyone else has had any experience with this but I am leaving a week from Friday for the Smokey Mnts Nat park then on back up to Jellico and start the TAT back at least to Mid Oklahoma on this trip. Will be about 1,000 miles of highway riding before we get to the nice TAT roads. I have a 14/46 gear on for the long haul to Jellico and then will drop back to my 13T for that portion. Bummed about not being able to camp as my other two buddies are camping. Not sure I have an answer for this bike. Any ideas of input is more than welcome.

TIA
10Cup

Getting ready for TAT ride on R² DSC02556sm
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Would an ultralight camping hammock help ?

http://hennessyhammock.com/sp-motorcycling.html

http://hennessyhammock.com/sp-ultralight.html
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:13 pm

This is why I am waiting for the larger tank to shift the weight up front. I was afraid that would happen if I carried 2 extra gallons on the rear.

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:35 am

For the record, The WR looks awesome set up for the long haul. Can't help on your problem tho. But keeps us posted on the trip with pics!

Safe traveling,
Luke.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:00 am

eeek That's quite the windscreen you've got on there, 10!

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

Are the tires brand new? Brand new the 606 front tire will cause the front end to do that at speed no matter how much weight you have on the bike. You can try dropping the pressure in the front tire to about 18 psi and that will help until you get a couple hundred miles on it, then it should calm down.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:43 am

Sounds like fun... Be safe! thumb

(sorry can't contribute much as I never camp on-the-go before... and Singapore is so damn tiny... 1000-mile trip will be XXX rounds around Singapore poser2 )
Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:58 am

your taking too much crap. you don't need as many changes of clothes as you think. clothes weigh alot. and if your going in a group all of you don't need to bring the same sets of tools.

or try incresing the rear preload for the extra weight.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

I'm at work right now so can't see the pic - but are you using tank panniers? Very inexpensive (Walmart and auto parts stores carry them for ATVs), and they don't really get in the way when set up properly (I even leave 'em on for intense trail riding).

Great way to shift weight to the front and carry lots of small odds and ends, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Krabill wrote:
Are the tires brand new? Brand new the 606 front tire will cause the front end to do that at speed no matter how much weight you have on the bike. You can try dropping the pressure in the front tire to about 18 psi and that will help until you get a couple hundred miles on it, then it should calm down.

I was wondering about that since the 606 lowers the front and raises the back thus changing the fork angle. Thanks for the tip I'll cretainly try this.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Bob wrote:
your taking too much crap. you don't need as many changes of clothes as you think. clothes weigh alot. and if your going in a group all of you don't need to bring the same sets of tools.

or try incresing the rear preload for the extra weight.

I'm sure you are correct on all points, so far I have increased the pre load to about 1/3 of the way down the shock and I only weight 168lbs. I am sure I have something that could come off. What I will most likley do is not camp and remove a complete bag or about 15 lbs until I can get tires on it that have the correct sidewall. Still trying different things at this point.
Back to top Go down
Highfive

Highfive

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Can't camp... Suspect Huh?

Dude...in all sincerity, you need to off load at least half your stuff. You'll never need it. Enjoy the riding & camping. Take notes with a pad & pencil instead of hauling computer crap along (just a guess). You can tell us all about it when you get back. You shouldn't need to haul a bunch of auxillary fuel. Ought to find a gas stop every hundred miles or so. You'll squeak out 120 miles from the tank, if you manage it right.

Lose the propane Coleman stove and lantern. Buy an "Esbit" stove with fuel cubes. Costs $10, fits in palm of your hand, weighs nothing. Boils 2 cups of water in 8 minutes. Pour that into your "Mountain House" freezed dried GOURMET meal packs. Again....small and super lightweight, and extremely YUMMY.

I've got a Bivy Sack, a medium weight down bag, & a Big Agnes air mattress, that don't weigh much nor take a lot of space. And the other guys are right...."half the clothes"......"half the tools".

If you really want our help, layout all your stuff on the garage floor from each bag, take some photos & post up. Its kind of hard to guess at it. But you shouldn't be packing more than about\ 30 lbs total for this trip.

HF lurk
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyFri May 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Here is a link from Dave the Giant Loop Guy on packing which is kinda cool. deal http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/2008/09/daves-packing-tips-dualsport-adventure.html

10Cup

PostSubject: Going Lite   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptySat May 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Well I responded but hit the new thread instead of reply..........sorry inmates see the "going lite" thread

Again thanks to all. Will update as I can. We leave next Friday the 29th.

10Cup
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Good luck.

I've had my wife on the very back of the seat and she weighs considerably more than 29 pounds. No problems at 65 on curvy roads.

I'd guess iIt's probably the rear sitting lower taking weight off the front. Add pre-load and raise the rear for the street section.

It could be the windscreen.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:46 am

1moreroad wrote:
Good luck.

I've had my wife on the very back of the seat and she weighs considerably more than 29 pounds. No problems at 65 on curvy roads.

I'd guess iIt's probably the rear sitting lower taking weight off the front. Add pre-load and raise the rear for the street section.

It could be the windscreen.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure at this point that it is the windshield so will see what happens without it too.

Thanks
10Cup
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² EmptyThu May 28, 2009 10:16 am

10Cup wrote:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure at this point that it is the windshield so will see what happens without it too.

Thanks
10Cup

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for TAT ride on R²   Getting ready for TAT ride on R² Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for TAT ride on R²
Page 1 of 1