Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Grinding out the exhaust port

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mr-cave

mr-cave

Grinding out the exhaust port Empty
PostSubject: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 am

When i changed my exhaust i noticed that the gasket and the port didnt match up.

You can easily feel the ditch that is behind the exhaust ports wall facing the header.

So when i installed my header and system i grinded that down a bit to look more like the size of the exhaust gasket (but not all the way)....

I had to smooth out the FMF header inside also because that was actually smaller than original header (surface that face gasket) so that this surface match up more properly also.

But be careful. The welding is done on the inside of that pipe and U dont want that to crack.

I dont know if this was either good or bad but in my thinking it must have been good. The port opened up atleast 1/5 inch ( or about 5mm) in diameter (if not more).

Put a sponge into the exhaust ports (so U easily can pull it out later...) so u dont get all the aluminum leftovers into your engine.

Then use some airpressure to blow the rests out. And take then the sponges out and fire up the engine so any particle left blows out.

DONT try this if you are unsure in this kind of operations, and dont blame me if if something goes wrong.... deal

So... good or bad?? dunno
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Interesting.

I'll have to take a good hard look if I ever get to the point of replacing the whole exhaust.

I can't say whether it's good or bad. It seems like a good idea, but without a dyno available for a before and after comparison, who knows? I don't know enough about exhaust systems to speculate whether it should make an improvement due to less restriction, or if that was there to increase exhaust gas velocity. I'd be very curious to see dyno results though.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:21 am

I did this to my KLR header. The KLR is pretty pokey, but it gave me piece of mind that I was improving flow for nothing more than a few minutes of work.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Modern 4 stroke car engines are DESIGNED to have a step out of the head, and into the header....

Dont know about the WR, as its not a multi-cylinder that uses exhaust pulses in the same way, but you never know really how its been designed!!! poser2

Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:24 pm

http://www.ehow.com/way_5568639_diy-porting-exhaust-manifolds.html

These lines feels like a YES to me anaway....
But yet they say it may not be effective everytime..
To grind out to match the gasket semes like a good idea they say anaway. both port and exhaust header
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:41 pm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=1304

Heres another guy that has done some work on the exhaust port.
The picture he shows is when port is grinded all the way against the gasket.
The port does not look like that stock.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 pm

It's pretty common in cars. "Gasket Matching". I don't think I've ever seen a dyno to prove it's effective in cars, but a smaller gain shows a larger percent on our bikes.

In theory it should increase high end power at the expense of a little low end torque.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grinding out the exhaust port   Grinding out the exhaust port Empty

Back to top Go down

Grinding out the exhaust port
Page 1 of 1