Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine noise info please

Go down 
+2
Jäger
Spun220
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Spun220

Engine noise info please Empty
PostSubject: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 am

Hi i have a 2011 wrr. I am new to motorcycles and have a question. Hope someone can help me out. In neutral or with the clutch held the engine sounds fine at any rpm. but while im riding at any speed i can hear lots of noise. (engine, gears, clutch, chain? I dont know how to diagnose the noise) Its not from the exaust. The bike is 100% stock and about 2000km. Bike runs great. Just this possible engine noise has me a bit worried. Is this normal for this bike? Should i be worried? Any input could help. Thanks .
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 am

I don't know what to tell you. They are not smooth little four bangers like a multi cylinder job - they're a thumper, complete with knobbies, etc.

But a 2011 with 2000km is covered under the warranty. Go back to the dealership and be honest and say you don't have anything to compare it to but the noise sounds more than it should. Maybe they have a second one they'll let you take for a short spin for comparison. More likely one of the shop guys will take it for a short run and come back and say all okay. But the concern and response will at least be documented should something go sour later on, I think.

I don't recall anyone on any of the WRR sites reporting an engine failure, particularly on a new bike. So you have both the warranty and statistical probability working on your side.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 am

I wonder if you're just hearing the chain. Got a buddy who knows bikes that could take a look/listen? If the dealership is handy, do as Jager says. Holler back and let us know how it goes.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:51 am

Do you have a skid plate on it? After I put mine on I hear lots of noise coming from the engine that I never heard before.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 am

Spun220 wrote:
Hi i have a 2011 wrr. I am new to motorcycles and have a question. Hope someone can help me out. In neutral or with the clutch held the engine sounds fine at any rpm. but while im riding at any speed i can hear lots of noise. (engine, gears, clutch, chain? I dont know how to diagnose the noise) Its not from the exaust. The bike is 100% stock and about 2000km. Bike runs great. Just this possible engine noise has me a bit worried. Is this normal for this bike? Should i be worried? Any input could help. Thanks .

Please consider the absolute impossibility of what you are asking people here to do.

We can't diagnose, confirm, and/or in any way help you understand what you are hearing.

Can you get a video with sound and post it?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Spun220

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks to those who responded. I wasnt trying to diagnose the noise i just wanted to know if there is noticeably more noise when the bike is moving than when reved in neutral. Thanks
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:41 pm

The bike will definitely make significantly more noise when in motion, everything will produce a sound and when they are added together there is a bunch of mechanical noise
I call this "cosmetic noise" in that it is just there and wether you like it or not it won't go away

Best thing you can do to familiarize yourself with the sounds is to put the bike on a sturdy stand and tie it up and down and across to make it safe and run the bike up in 4th and 5th gear, you won't break it doing this but there is no need to run the thing flat out to redline in top gear, you just want to see what 80kph sounds like
You can run it up and apply the brake to load the drivetrain etc, just be sensible and you won't have any problems
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine noise info please   Engine noise info please Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine noise info please
Page 1 of 1