Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??

Go down 
+3
joenuclear
ramz
deerHater
7 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? Empty
PostSubject: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

For some reason (senility? brain fart??) I just realized today that this Thursday I'll start a 5 day weekend using both my FMF muffler and the Giant Loop Coyote bag on my WR. Problem is I do NOT have a heat shield to protect the bag.

Anyone have a quick solution idea? Needs to work for about 1,800 kms (1,100+ miles.)

TIA....

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

You could try the Hot Springs heat shield sold by Giant Loop:

Hot Springs heat shield <-- linky

Overnight would add $$$, but the peace of mind would be more than enough for me.
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm

ramz wrote:
You could try the Hot Springs heat shield sold by Giant Loop:

Hot Springs heat shield <-- linky

Overnight would add $$$, but the peace of mind would be more than enough for me.

After looking at that link you should be able to find something in the metal supply area at a big box store and hose clamp it to your can.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks guys. I'm in Canada, so I've left that far too late to have anything shipped here.

But as joenuclear says, I should be able to get something similar locally - hence the 'MacGyver' title!
And this place is about a 1 minute ride from my house:
http://www.ottawafastenersupply.com/
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:56 pm

deerHater wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm in Canada, so I've left that far too late to have anything shipped here.

But as joenuclear says, I should be able to get something similar locally - hence the 'MacGyver' title!
And this place is about a 1 minute ride from my house:
http://www.ottawafastenersupply.com/

These guys sell Giant Loop in Canada. Dunno how quick they could get you one, however:

http://www.motooverland.com/

I have one and it'd be fairly easy to make, I'd think.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am

I know this is not going to be quick enough to make your trip, but I have mounted the stock heat shield on my FMF Q4. It involved a little aluminum fabricating and welding but I am hoping it's pretty permanent and rugged. I just had some aluminum strips formed up in a "hat" shape, had them welded on the aluminum skin of the silencer and then mounted some nuts and bolts to create studs to mount the stock heat shield. I'll find out just how good I did beginning next week. We're about to embark on an 8-day 1600 mile run from SLC to Denver. If I did not suck so bad at the internet, I would post a couple of photos here... Very happy

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up instead strapping a 30 liter dry bag to the seat/tail - worked very well with Yamaha rack (nice tie-down points!)

I packed very carefully: tent, ground sheet, thermarest, sleeping bag, 4 changes clothers, swim trunks.
And a shoe bag atop it, need 'runners' on a 4 day weekend! And it was a great 'weekend', 1,650 km with only about 60 in the rain.

I will get the heat shields on before the next multi-day ride, 2nd weekend in September.
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm

I made a stand-off bar that really helps then the little guy falls over thumb

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 743604098_VWxJr-M
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: cheap protection   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

I used an old license plate that has worked very well....

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 2011-07-2017-56-53255-M

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 2011-07-2017-56-29740-M

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 2011-07-2017-56-39417-M

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 2011-07-2022-40-06448-M

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? 2011-07-2017-57-06347-M
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 2:16 pm

SteveO wrote:
I used an old license plate that has worked very well....
Ah yes, is that with the Wolfman saddlebag 'guards?'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??   FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver?? Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF guard for Giant Loop bag, quick MacGyver??
Page 1 of 1