Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking for commuting solution

Go down 
+7
Boondocker
josh
Arkmage
dtx
IndigoWolf
BuilderBob
michael21
11 posters
AuthorMessage
michael21

Looking for commuting solution Empty
PostSubject: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:03 pm

I am looking for some commuting luggage options for the X. I need something that will hold a change of clothes and maybe my lunch. I have searched all over this website and the internet and don't really see any good options. I have looked at the Happy trails and Wolfman and such but they don't seem to be what I am looking for. I am intrigued by a Givi topbox. Can anyone give me any input on what they are using and what is working. Also I will also be wearing a backpack so all this would be in addition to the backpack. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Since you mentioned GIVI, are you looking for a hard top case? There are lots of options for that, but I have yet to see one on a WR. That said, it could easily be done.
Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm

I've seen these used where weather tight solutions are needed,
top box ... Pelican 1300
Panners ... Pelican 1430
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 pm

http://www.automotivemachine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=56

I have a givi top box on my concours. Had it about 12 years. Its water tight and can be removed quick.
I have found a rack that fits the wr just have not pulled the trigger yet. Cannot recall what size it is but the dam thing holds two full faced lids or my one piece leather suit or lunch for five,yay over kill for a wr.
Its a good case,and they make smaller ones. With the right rack life on the wr should be good.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:08 pm

I've got a WOLFMAN Wolf tailbag that I use any time I'm not out hooligan riding. It worked pretty good with the ebay rack I had but even without a rack it holds on great.

I can carry my lunch box, rain gear, and a change of shoes (steel toes for the shop) and still have room in the side pockets for my wallet, cell phones, etc.

It's not quite big enough to put my helmet in and it requires a rain cover to be truly dry in a down pour. Those are the only downsides I've found.

I've carried a 28lb pipe plug for work wrapped in a towel in this thing and despite all that weight pulling on the bungies every turn/start/stop it made the 14 mile ride to the machine shop no problem.

http://www.motostrano.com/wowota.html

DSCN0956

DSCN0955

DSCN0954
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 am

Tail Box and a back pack....KEEP IT SIMPLE

Looking for commuting solution WP_0001401
Back to top Go down
michael21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Josh,

That is exactly what I am looking for. What is your setup and how does the bike handle at highway speeds?
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm

michael21 wrote:
Josh,

That is exactly what I am looking hs for. What is your setup and how does the bike handle at highway speeds?
I am pleasantly surprised that stock gearing is fine for my 30 mile commute of which 95% is highway . The motor with stock gearing can handle and maintain 70+ mph. Bar risers and comfort seat really add value.The tail box is a Emgo with base plate. Find a inexpensive tail rack and your good to go. Unbelievable 250.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm

michael21 wrote:
I am looking for some commuting luggage options for the X. I need something that will hold a change of clothes and maybe my lunch. I have searched all over this website and the internet and don't really see any good options. I have looked at the Happy trails and Wolfman and such but they don't seem to be what I am looking for. I am intrigued by a Givi topbox. Can anyone give me any input on what they are using and what is working. Also I will also be wearing a backpack so all this would be in addition to the backpack. Thanks.

When you say a "change of clothes", do you mean the clothes you're wearing plus a second set? The reason I ask is because I commute on my motorcycle everyday, wearing a full set of motorcycle gear over my business casual work attire. The trick for me is 2 pair of shoes at work. I have a black pair and a brown pair of shoes that I keep at work so I can wear motorcycle boots on the ride. At work I have a cabinet to stow my MC gear. In the summertime, when it's over 100 F, I wear a cooling vest on the way home. So even if my shirt gets a little wet, I don't care when I get home.

So maybe what you need is riding suit to go over your clothes instead of a box to put your clothes in.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am

I've been making due with just a backpack. You would be surprised how much they can hold. Pretty sure if I folded the clothes mine could hold enough for a week and still have room for a lunch. Other day I had a 3 liter of sprite, a bottle of rum, 2 dvds, 1lb of jerky, a large food strainer, and 2 liters of oil in mine. Still had plenty room to spare and its not a huge pack. Changed her oil, used the mesh from the strainer to quiet the exhaust, drank the sprite and rum, and ate the jerky Very happy Then when id had too much rum I passed out to an action movie. Good night.
Back to top Go down
bDry

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Looking for commuting solution Xfromrtclose2

Looking for commuting solution XwithGiviMicro20

Givi "Micro" on my X. Installed easy with some custom mod. I need to move it back a little bit - I can wear a backpack, but only just barely without having the pack rub up against the box. I just need a little more room in order to be comfy with the backpack too. I use mine for commuting. Lockable and removable. Works great. I keep a set of rain gear in it, and I can still stop for a few groceries on the way home.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 am

I have a GIvi trunk on my WR with monokey mounts on a Auto Machine of Ft. Worth rack. It is already drilled for this system, works great. I use it only on the street. Sorry I can not post pictures. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 6:02 pm

The small Motofizz camping bag (http://www.aerostich.com/motofizz-camping-seat-bags-small.html) sounds like it's dead on what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for commuting solution   Looking for commuting solution Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for commuting solution
Page 1 of 1