Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Camera case? Backpack?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Z

Camera case? Backpack? Empty
PostSubject: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm

What do you think? I need to carry a good sized dslr with one or 2 smaller lenses. Am considering 1) Pelican case mounted to rear fender rack or 2) Small - medium well padded backpack. I'll also be carrying a smaller tripod (17-22 inches collapsed).

I'm leaning towards the backpack to reduce unwanted vibration to the camera and lenses but am not crazy about having that stuff on my back in a fall. I haven't seen any side bags that would work but - I'm open to suggestions! scratch

Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 am

have you looked at kriega's stuff? i have an R15 backpack which is a great size for me, you can hardly tell its on, if i had any bigger than i would be carry too many things on my back, so i stuck with the R15. Im not sure how you would carry the tripod. If you did not want to carry a pack, the wolfman tail bag is super easy to get in and out of, and you could put some padding in the bottom to soften up the ride for the camera .. not sure if everything would fit inside. I think he might have two different sizes though. ANyway, just some thoughts.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

I'd go with a pelican on a rear rack. With the custom foam insert your camera and lens would be well protected from vibration , and the whole rig is a safe as you can get on a bike. If you do a get off with that shit on your back you will trash the camera and YOU !
Back to top Go down
Dave Z

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 pm

crypto - Thanks. Those Kriega's look really good.

I'm leaning toward a large Automotive Machine rear rack and through bolting the case to the rack. The outside of the case I'm looking at is 15x19x7 and I'll probably mount it length wise. At 15" the case is not as wide as the tail lights.

A smaller case would be nice but I need at least a couple inches around the camera.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:24 pm

If you want a backpack I use a Geigerrig.com. A think it's a whole step up from the Kriega, and much cheaper. Made in the USA
Back to top Go down
titanpilot

PostSubject: Geigerrig hydration pack   Camera case? Backpack? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:05 pm

+1 On Geigerrig

I got to try out my Geigerrig pack this weekend. I did my first multiday camping trip on the WRR. I first learned about these on the ADV forum.
It works just as advertised. The really nice feature is you can get a in-line water filter so all you have to do is refill the bladder in the stream,creek or river and your ready to roll. No pumping from a water filter needed.
They have a special deal thru ADV.. You use a special code and get the in-line filter and hose set up for free.

Daryl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I've been looking for a camera case for my DSLR and I've been thinking about a Pelican Case too. I think the model was 1450 which would fit my tail rack pretty nicely AND leave me room for 1"+ foam above and below the camera for vibration, plus leave room for lenses, etc. Another option I saw at a Gander Mtn was a nice thick waterproof gun case similar to a pelican. They're about $100 though, but would offer a lockable container.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 pm

I just tossed my D40 w/ the kit 18-55 lens in my tank bag, wrapped in a waterproof sack when weather dictated it was necessary. Lasted just fine on the big trip this spring, including a couple small drops. Doing it again, I'd get the nikkor 18-200 VR and never change lenses... maybe bringing a fast prime for night work. Or the pentax rugged body/lens equivalents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camera case? Backpack?   Camera case? Backpack? Empty

Back to top Go down

Camera case? Backpack?
Page 1 of 1