Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First SM trackday

Go down 
+2
BuilderBob
trav72
6 posters
AuthorMessage
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Well, after my fiasco oil change and my track day prep, I was finally able to make it. It was my first time at Summit as well as my first SM track day so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew there would be lots of really good riders as well as bikes with twice the power of the WR....and there were. But it's a small track so I thought I would be OK. I had a bit of a rough start in the morning but the afternoon was much better!

The dirt section was awesome and consisted of a triple, step down and a table top jump. I had 2 low sides on the track and 4 crashes in the dirt. All were relatively low speed and no damage was done to myself or the bike. I ride dirt every weekend but it's an entirely different feeling with 17's and street tires. Especially when the dirt consists of a powdery silt. I had zero traction. But once I got somewhat used to it I had a much better time.

Anyway, I don't have pics yet of me actually riding on the track. Hopefully I'll get some in the next few days and will add them here. I did take some in the pit areas so these will have to do for now.

Arriving and setting up.
First SM trackday Kablet10

First SM trackday Kablet11

Taking a break around lunch time
First SM trackday Stonew10

First SM trackday Img-2017

Dirty WRR /X
First SM trackday Kablet12

First SM trackday Valley10

This gives you a little idea of the silt we were riding in.
First SM trackday Valley11

The day was complete without any major incidents. Time to head home.
First SM trackday Img-2019

EDIT: Some action pics

First SM trackday Travis10

First SM trackday Travis11

First SM trackday Travis12

First SM trackday Travis13

Last edited by trav72 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Looks like you used the whole tire. Congrats! First SM trackday 61865
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:10 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Looks like you used the whole tire. Congrats! First SM trackday 61865

Thanks! But that's not real hard on a 140. I took this down at Deals Gap earlier this year.

First SM trackday Img-2017
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Distanzias...... thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Not for $300 a pair. I'll stick with what I have.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 pm

They'll wear out.....then........

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 pm

trav72 wrote:
Not for $300 a pair. I'll stick with what I have.

That rear tire looks like a cat scratch post! poser2

Distanzia's are worth a shot.... stock Bridgestone were one of the worst tires I've had.

Much better for twisties and amazing grip thru the life of the tire- (put 5800 on my rear) and wore it down to the bone!

Regardless, you're gonna get smoked against that KTM!!! amazon

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Not 1 rider had Distanzia's at the track. That must say something.

Hey, I passed that 625 in the afternoon sessions. As well as a few other bikes. lots of HP + heavy bike only gets you so far on a tight track.

I just happened to get passed by almost every other KTM. Very happy

But who cares, I had a ton of fun.

Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 pm

trav72 wrote:
Not 1 rider had Distanzia's at the track. That must say something.
Agreed.

My stock Bridgestones are shagged side to side from my time on the track this year, and nearly done. They're at the wear bars on the sides of the front tires but still sticking so I'll do at least one more night on them.

When they're finished I'm looking forward to running with nice, light, sticky Continental Force SM's. ZED has nearly worn out his second set of Contis & they are awesome tires for these little bikes.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 am

Just curious...

Hows the suspension doing when U push it really hard on the track?
Is it wobbly, loose in front or is it just okay?

It is depending on drivers weight i know.
But what is your feeling about the bike at the track?

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am

My suspension is pretty good but it's also not stock either. I've had the shock re-valved and re-sprung for my weight. I've also changed the fork oil and pretty much maxed out the fork settings. I need stiffer springs but have yet to put them in. I'm sure once I do that the front will be much better. But as it sits right now, I don't really have any complaints. There were some pretty big jumps in the dirt section and I never bottomed out.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 am

Okay. So i guess my feeling was right then. It needs to be re-sprunged.
My weight is about 90kg/ 200lbs some give or take. Plus gear.....

Standard springs is set for 70 or 80 kgs or something?

Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 5:51 pm

welcome to the addiction.

i've done 8 or 9 track days this year, and i agree, have yet to see a bike with distanzias. they're good for what they are, but if you ride aggressive at the track, you need a good trackday/race tire.

i run bt-003's on my wrx. it's (the bike) a little limited by size, so you don't have a whole lot of choices.

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Added some action pics to the first post. thumb
Back to top Go down

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Geez... dunno I had no idea so many disliked Distanzia's.

As for people using them on a track..

I agree, they are a bit heavy for repetitive-circles-while-huffing-fumes-all-day (aka track days).
However I live in an area where we can roam free! Not caged with cones and full leathers... poser2

Like a blank canvas crying for abstract strokes and color, free range and intense trail riding will always trump any track day.

But that's the beauty of this bike, it can be anybody's bitch!

Dress her up and treat her however you seem fit. freaky

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Surfer-X wrote:

As for people using them on a track..

I agree, they are a bit heavy for repetitive-circles-while-huffing-fumes-all-day (aka track days).
However I live in an area where we can roam free! Not caged with cones and full leathers... poser2

Yes, riding repetitive 'circles' consisting of of asphalt, dirt ,left and right turns as well as jumps with an element of friendly competition among other riders. How boring. Rolling Eyes

Surfer-X wrote:

free range and intense trail riding will always trump any track day.

They both have their place and provide different levels of fun and I'm happy to ride it in any one of those places. In fact, I rode ST trails yesterday. thumb
First SM trackday Woodla10

Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Surfer-X wrote:
Geez... dunno I had no idea so many disliked Distanzia's.

meh, now that i've got a dedicated track bike i'm almost positive distanzia's will be my next tire on the X.

they're just not a good trackday tire is all we're saying, not that they're not a good tire in general.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Vortac wrote:
now that i've got a dedicated track bike

What do ya got?
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:57 am

one of those orange things....

if you can't beat em, join em, lol

First SM trackday 1a086737
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Nice! thumb

I'll be attending my second SM trackday on the 9th of September. If I continue going to them, I might look into a dedicated track bike. In the mean time, I'll have to ride my slow WR fast. I'm sure I'll be the only one out there with a 4 stroke 250 with an oversized tank. But that's OK...I'll do my best not get run over by the fast guys or make the slow guys look silly when they get passed by a slower WRR. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First SM trackday Empty
PostSubject: Re: First SM trackday   First SM trackday Empty

Back to top Go down

First SM trackday
Page 1 of 1