Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Longest oil change in history

Go down 
+6
DougZ
rydnseek
Arkmage
pbnut
motokid
trav72
10 posters
AuthorMessage
trav72

trav72

Longest oil change in history Empty
PostSubject: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 pm

About a week ago I went to do an oil change but ran into some difficulty. Problem: the bolt was really stuck and I could not get it to budge. After trying with sockets and breaker bars, heat, etc. nothing was working. Add insult to injusy, the bolt head stripped on me. Nothing to do at the point until I got a new oil drain bolt. So I went and ordered one before I attempted it again. In the mean time, I went riding.

Fast forward to last night.....I received the new bolts (ordered a couple) and a few crush washers and attempted to remove it again. After hours and hours of trying everything I could think of, I gave up and felt completely defeated. By a bolt no less. I was planning on doing a SM track day on Friday and because I couldn't get the oil changed I decided to cancel it.

Then this morning I tried again. This time I decided to grind the shit out of the bolt until there was hardly anything left against the engine case. This presented a few problems. I didn't want to grind it and mess up the case and I needed to work at an angle that would allow me to do so.

First step...lay the bike down and use my Dremel.
Longest oil change in history Img-2015

That didn't work plus the lower frame was in my way. Next step, flip it over and swing the lower frame away.
Longest oil change in history Img-2016

With that angle I was able to grind away and finally got the damn thing! wings The grinder tapped a couple of small spots on the case but no real damage. Everything is smooth and there are no leaks whatsoever.
Longest oil change in history Logan-11

I was able to get the everything buttoned back up and completed my track day prep. Now I'm good to go! thumb

What my bike normally looks like
Longest oil change in history Right_10

Track mode.
Longest oil change in history Logan-12

All in all, it took me a week to change the oil. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

What track? Summit? NJMP?

Nice job by the way. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:52 pm

I was very relieved when I finally got the f'ing thing out.

Yeah I'm going to Summit tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 5:27 pm

trav72 wrote:

I nominate this picture for the next header shot!!!!!!!!!!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 6:37 pm

motokid wrote:

I nominate this picture for the next header shot!!!!!!!!!!

I second this motion.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 pm

The representative from Texas votes "Yea" to header picture.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 pm

a single vote from Az votes 'Yea'.

Cool to see the bike on the seat & bars like a bicycle! Makes it look small & light.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Only problem is the wrong owner... It's Trav's bike! Shog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 am

rydnseek wrote:
Only problem is the wrong owner... It's Trav's bike! Shog

PM sent.... dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 am

And I posted up in header shot thread too. thumb Very happy
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Damn , I don't even get credit for my pic.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Sorry Trav...brain is kinda wonky. Had a death here so I'm not firing on all 8. Longest oil change in history 490865

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

trav72 wrote:
That didn't work plus the lower frame was in my way. Next step, flip it over and swing the lower frame away.

She wolf is bound to jump in on this one, but this is where I usually start. ...and that is just to check the oil.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 am

SheWolf wrote:
Sorry Trav...brain is kinda wonky. Had a death here so I'm not firing on all 8. Longest oil change in history 490865

No worries. Thanks for fixing it. I'm sorry about your loss.
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 am

TRAV72
That always happens to me when I'm rushing to do something and Murphy's Law shows it's ugly head......EVERY TIME. Glad to hear you were successful.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 am

josh wrote:

That always happens to me when I'm rushing to do something and Murphy's Law shows it's ugly head......EVERY TIME.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Did you have any problems getting the oil level correct on the sight glass that way round !!! wink
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 pm

I just made sure it was between to the 2 lines. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Lots of slippery stuff then lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longest oil change in history   Longest oil change in history Empty

Back to top Go down

Longest oil change in history
Page 1 of 1