Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sell or modify?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pontstone

Sell or modify? Empty
PostSubject: Sell or modify?   Sell or modify? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 am

Hi all,

I have a WR250R which I have come to use only in the enduro track.
Carrying a weight of some 240 pounds I am looking into getting harder springs
for the rear and front of my bike.

The local Yamaha dealer here in Helsingborg Sweden tells me that the best
way forward is to sell my R and get an F instead of spending money on suspension
parts etc.

I like my R however, not in the least because of the long service intervals,
so I will most likely keep it.

It seems as suspension parts for the R model is a bit hard to come by here in
Sweden , but maybe someone out there can give me a tip on a good place
on the web from which I can order parts?

I am also planning to change the rear sprocket to adapt the gearing to the enduro
track. Any recommendations on how many teeth would work best? Will sprockets for
a WR250F fit on my R?

Many thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

Sell or modify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell or modify?   Sell or modify? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:59 am

A bike dedicated to enduro bike at your weight I'd buy a local product and get the 300 2T Husaberg, for heaps of reasons, that is what I would do if I was in your shoes

I luv my WRR, it takes me everywhere but if I could have a second bike or only rode enduro Id have the 300
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Sell or modify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell or modify?   Sell or modify? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 am

When you write "enduro track", I assume that's your translation for what I'd call "trails in the woods", and you are riding the bike for recreational enjoyment, not actually racing in enduros against other competitors.
If you actually were racing it, I'd recommend you get a bike made for that right away, and the reason the guy at your local dealer tells you that is because racing a WR-250R, while possible, ain't the best place to start because you're already at a disadvantage versus a bike made for racing (and when racing, you are riding faster and harder as opposed to "I'm just out here for fun").

I wouldn't expect most parts dept. people to have a catalogue listing springs and suspension components for a WR-250R because it's a dual-purpose bike.
What I'd do is contact a shop that makes it's living modifying the suspension of dirt bikes, tell them what you want, and have them do the work.
If you insist on doing the work yourself, see if you can buy the parts from them.

You are on the right track wanting to modify the (pretty poor, compared to other dirt bikes) suspension on your bike.
Besides knobby tires and tailoring the controls and general setup of the bike for you, that's one of the major things you want sorted out.
The way the bike rolls off the showroom is best suited to very gentle trail riding, and when pushed up into just a moderated pace, it doesn't give the rider a good feeling at all.
That's because it is a very cheap suspension setup the way it comes, especially the shock absorber internals.
Getting the suspension done by a suspension shop should make that situation much better.

WR-250F sprockets will fit a WR-250R as along as you use the rear sprocket mounting bolts from the WR-250F.
I'd also buy a new WR-250R front sprocket nut at the same time since the locking tab is built into the nut and is supposed to be used just once.

My opinion:

If you are riding the street much, then the WR-250R is a good choice as it allows a good compromise of using the same bike for trail riding and street riding.
This is mainly because, even when geared down with a big rear sprocket for trail use, it can still cruise at a decent speed on the street without feeling strained or wound-out.
That is a very big deal if you ride the street a lot, as looking in your rear view mirror all the time to see if you have a car on your rear fender gets old quickly.

If you ride the street only to get from one trail to the next, get rid of the WR-250R and get a WR-250F.
Why?
The WR-250F is heavily based on the 2006-2007 YZ-250F, Yamaha's top-of-the-line dirt bike.
If you are concentrating on trail riding, the WR-250F feels about a million times better while doing that as the bike is actually made to perform there.
Straight line stability over rough ground, suspension performance, power output and power spread, light weight, and general feel are very good.
I have compared the two bikes back-to-back, and for trail riding, there is no comparison.

Also, on the subject of maintinance intervals:
It's not the case of having to do a crazy amount of work to keep a WR-250F running if you are a recreational rider out there for fun.
It requires engine oil changes, air filter service, and the same things a WR-250R requires, but, in my experience, that's it.
I've had my 2009 WR-250F since November of 2009, and I estimate I've got about 2,000 trail miles on it.
That's a good chunk of trail riding.
Other than checking the valve clearances over this past winter, the engine internals are still untouched.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

Sell or modify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell or modify?   Sell or modify? EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 4:37 am

Sorry but ill take this in swedish....

Det finns en kille som skrivit om sitt wr250X bygge på sporthoj. Han köpte fjädrar till en vanlig wr450 eller wr250 till sin hoj för han var tyngre....
Om du söker på wr250x och stunt eller stunthoj borde du hitta på tråden om honom och således kunna fråga honom om och hur han bar sig åt.

Men förövrigt om du skall tävla/ träna riktig enduro så är nog hojen tyvär lite fel. Klart det går. Men det skulle nog gå bättre och lättare med en hoj som är byggd för ändamålet.

Har själv tävlat i enduro och kan väl säga att fjädringen är väl A och O i det hela så får man ordning på det så går det väl i princip att åka på vad som helst.

Bara man slipper lyfta en skit tung hoj som väger 200kg ur ett surhål. Sådana gånger är man rätt glad att hojen väger så lite som möjligt. Very happy

Lycka till och hoppas det hjälpte lite. thumb

Google translation just so you others can follow little what i just wrote (some words is a bit off but......
"There is a guy who wrote about his wr250X based on sportsbike. He bought the springs for a regular or wr450 wr250 for his bike because he was heavier ....
If you are looking at wr250x and stunt or stunthoj you should find the thread about him and thus be able to ask him and how he behaved.

But besides, if you are to compete / train real enduro bike, it is enough Sorry a little off. Mostly it goes. But it would probably go better and easier with a bike that's built for the purpose.

Have yourself competing in enduro and can say that the suspension is well-alpha and omega of it all, you get track of it so it is good in principle to go on anything.

As long as you do not have to lift a heavy shit bike weighing 200kg from a surhål. Such times are you right glad that the bike weighs as little as possible. : D

Good luck and hope it helped a little"

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sell or modify? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell or modify?   Sell or modify? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sell or modify?
Page 1 of 1