Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

So I just bought a used WR250R and then...

Go down 
+10
Boondocker
ejfranz1
trav72
Carmmond
X-Racer
cryptomundo
mucker
A66auto
Chrispy1200
rhafe
14 posters
AuthorMessage
rhafe

So I just bought a used WR250R and then... Empty
PostSubject: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:24 pm

made the mistake of reading about motorcyle deaths etc on the internet. I was going to use the bike for dirt and road. Now I'm pretty worried about my decision to take up riding again after a very long absence. I've been riding bicycles for several years and wanted to try something new. I figured it couldn't be much more dangerous than bicycling, but according to the stats, it's worse. Much worse. Anyone else had similar experience and gotten over it. I guess I sound a little like a wuss, but I'm really not.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm

If you lived your entire life on stats, you'd never get out of bed.

Most people get hurt because of bad decisions, poor skills / training and lack of gear. Address those issues, ride defensively and you will be fine.

Back to top Go down
A66auto

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:39 pm

If your new to motorcycle riding or to the street, look for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class near you and start there.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Living does reduce life expectency.
Back to top Go down
rhafe

PostSubject: I'm better now.   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I think it was something I ate. Seriously, I think I'll take one of the courses and that should help shore up my confidence. Thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

I would agree .. all the responses are right on
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Ride by reading everything around you always.

Use the same 360 degree omni antenna that you ride with on your bicycle and ride with it all the time.

When in traffic if you can make eye contact with everyone around you you know that are looking at you.

If they are not looking at you keep looking at and watch them.

That includes your rear.

Stay to the side of your lane, the SAFE SIDE and keep your eyes open in all directions.

It's (can be) warfare out there.

RIDE DEFENSIVELY ! ...and always ride when and where you are comfortable.

Back to top Go down
rhafe

PostSubject: Great advice....   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 am

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Carmmond

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 9:33 am

I always say if you come close to getting in accidents all the time in your car maybe a motorcycle isn’t for you. If you don’t take the MSF class, put some time in on roads that aren’t busy… build your confidence and take your time. Yes it can get crazy out there but if you take your time and don’t ride over your level you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 am

X-Racer wrote:

Stay to the side of your lane, the SAFE SIDE and keep your eyes open in all directions.

I don't hear people say this enough! I always stay on the right side of the lane (if in the right lane or on a 2 lane road) and I'm constantly looking in my mirrors. Because of this, I've avoided getting hit from behind at least twice. Both times I would have been sandwiched. Not to mention the countless times an oncoming driver has crossed the center line and would have taken me out had I not been in the right side of the lane. This is some of the best advice you'll get.
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: New rider advice   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Take a course.
I also commute to work via bicycle and feel safer on the motocycle. Have all the proper gear: riding jacket with pads, proper pants, boots, gloves and helmet.
I do not agree with riding always on the right! Ride where you are most visible to the traffic you are in. I ride on the right when in the left lane when there are 2 lanes to choose from so I am more visible to people trying to change lanes. I ride on the left if there is one lane. That way I am more visible to the on coming traffic. As when bicycling look at the other drivers to make sure they have seen you.
With the WR you sit higher and are better seen. Take it easy with the WR it can scream!
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:06 am

all great advice .. remember also, just because you can see someone, does not mean they can see you .. proceed with caution .. also stay out of peoples blind spots
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Proficient Motorcycling   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Read 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough and take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. These things will help you get your head on straight about how to be safer when riding. That and constant vigilance improve your odds.

I advocate wearing All The Gear All The Time!
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:05 pm

trav72 wrote:
X-Racer wrote:

I don't hear people say this enough! I always stay on the right side of the lane (if in the right lane or on a 2 lane road) and I'm constantly looking in my mirrors.

I used to always ride in the right side of the lane. I figured it was the furthest from on-coming traffic, hence the safest. However, I think that safety courses tend to advise the left track and I always wondered about this. I think the theory is, that if you ride in the right side of the lane, you are less visible to oncoming traffic that may be making a left turn especially if you have a car in front of you. Also you tend to be in the blind spot of the car in front of you. Because of this I ride in the left lane when I have a car in front of me to stay visible to on-coming traffic that may be making left hand turns, but move to the right lane if there is no one in front of me.

Also, treat a red light that has just turned green as a stop sign. Look both ways before proceeding.
Back to top Go down
brentwr

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Boondocker wrote:
Read 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough and take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. These things will help you get your head on straight about how to be safer when riding. That and constant vigilance improve your odds.

I advocate wearing All The Gear All The Time!

+1 to reading this book. The risk is real, but when you start seeing the statistics it becomes evident how many people go out without proper gear, proper training, a proper attitude, and an appropriate level of sobriety. Bad things can still happen even when prepared, but the stats point to a lot of Darwin candidates who jump on a rocket at 3AM because they're too drunk to walk...
Back to top Go down
rhafe

PostSubject: I ordered the book.....   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 9:50 am

signed up for a class, and I've been practicing (I have a permit) . I'm getting more comfortable with the bike and a lot less paranoid about getting crunched. I 'm finding a lot of the awareness things I do on the bicycle help on the motorcycle. I forgot to mention, my name is Roger, I live in Southern CA, and I'm returning to riding after a long absence. I really appreciate all the tips given in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Goosed

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:47 am

A66auto wrote:
If your new to motorcycle riding or to the street, look for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class near you and start there.

I had rode dirt for 13 years than got the street bike I went to a MSF class and still learned things. Well woth the money for the class, and the instructor was telling me they were going to start a enduro class too.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Something that always stuck with me is "Ride like you are completely invisible"
I can say that this has saved me a few times and it is a real easy mantra to keep in your head
The other thing is always stay out of a drivers blind spot, be aggressive and obvious in your actions
I don't agree with riding on the right hand side of your lane, take and defend your piece of the road rather than hide over to the side
Most accidents happen at intersections, be careful there and remember the invisible thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I just bought a used WR250R and then...   So I just bought a used WR250R and then... Empty

Back to top Go down

So I just bought a used WR250R and then...
Page 1 of 1