Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is it really worth it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wristpin

Is it really worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Is it really worth $500 or so to get a pipe and programmer to only get a few hp more? From what I've seen as far as dyno testing and other BS, it seems there is only 4 or so hp gain. Is it worth the reduction in reliability and associated problems with pipe and programmer instillation as well as dumping a pile of money into your bike to get a few hp more? And I know, I know, a gain of only a few hp on a low hp machine to begin with will seem more significant, but is it really worth it? I am fairly pleased with the stock setup, and don't see any big advantage to be gained from such an investment. I think it may have a lot to do with different riding styles but is it really worth it?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm

wristpin wrote:
Is it worth the reduction in reliability and associated problems with pipe and programmer instillation

Care to explain this part? What's your source?

What associated problems?
What reliability reduction?

If you see no advantage don't do it.
If you're happy with stock don't do it.

Ask if most who have done it would go back to stock if they could get their money back.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 pm

poser2 Worth it thumb With all the mods and pipe/FI programmer the "ride-ability" is 100% better. Smoother power with better torque to take advantage of low speed trail riding and pull progressively through the gears. Don't get me wrong, it was painful to drop the money for everything, but there is no way I would go back.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 8:07 am

oldirt wrote:
there is no way I would go back.

and there you have it deal

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
thumpjump

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 am

My bike has every mod except the Athena big bore kit. I love it modded, but I also race my bike, so every bit helps. I've done some long enduro'ish type races in stock form and it does just fine. The little extra zip and torque I get from the full FMF Q4/MegaBomb/Programmer setup helps loft the tire to go over obstacles, but isn't necessary at all for having fun out on the trails. When I'm racing or riding in offroad riding areas I really like the noise from the Q4. However, when I'm trail riding or riding around town I feel it's a bit much.

Bottom line, if you're happy with the stock setup and you don't NEED the extra power and you don't have money to throw around, then I would suggest keeping it stock and just tinker with gearing. If you're like me and want to squeeze every bit of power, and feel the need to tinker with the bike, then by all means you wont regret the after market exhaust.

Just my .02
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 am

Is it really worth it?
Only you can answer that one for yourself.
Personally, I was not satisfied with the EPA-regulated performance and throttle response.
I knew it could be made better.

There is the thing called "feel" that you won't get from a thousand dyno charts or a thousand message board posts.

With a pipe and fuel programmer, the throttle response is much better.
The way the bike comes, throttle response, while ridable, isn't as good as it can be thanks to EPA regulations.
I believe it's true that your bike won't gain much power according to a line on a dyno chart.
But, since it will respond to you opening the throttle much better (as well as make a bit more power along the way), those mods are worth it.

I, too, would like to know about these problems associated with these mods.
I'm assuming you're refering to people having trouble installing them and having to ask for help and advice.
Well, that's true with lots of things, like the correct way of painting your house, and there are a lot of newbies trying this stuff for the first time.
The only ones I can remember reading about were, basically, from people who were dicking around with settings instead of plugging it in, installing the pipe, and go.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 5:36 pm

I will share a story about "ride-ability or drive ability" when you install a chip or programmer: as stated I like the smooth feel and response I get on the bike with a programmer and pipe plus related mods.
I had a 1990 34 ft motorhome with a 454 gas motor, I went to a muffler shop and we made up a "cat back" exhaust system, (not anything loud) and then I plugged in a Hypertech chip. Then had it Dynoed, the net results on a dyno showed a 9 hp gain to the rear wheels and maybe a 10 ft lbs of torque gain. Needless to say I was disappointed in the results since the claim of 25 to 35 hp gains were the norm. However, the driveability was night and day, the chip had smoothed out the hp and torque curve dramatically, gone was the jagged curve with dips and valleys from idle to max hp and torque. I had nice throttle response that made it seem to run effortless and smooth. So the numbers are all well and good, bottom line, it feels so much better and does not seem to labor along, moves briskly and gives me a nice feeling of control in the throttle.
All this can be argued well past sunset, but I have not heard anyone regret the mods (performance wise) and go back to a bone stock set up yet.
Trust your conscious and your wallet and do what is in your comfort zone. No matter what you decide, you are not tied down, ride and enjoy your bike cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it really worth it?   Is it really worth it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it really worth it?
Page 1 of 1