Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes? Empty
PostSubject: Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes?   Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm leaving on a trip and I have a rear rack with solid top case and soft side bags. In total it's probably around 30 KG (65 pounds).

The suspension does compress quite a bit when I sit on the bike (im 75 kg ~ 165 lbs).

I realize both me and the luggage isnt super heavy but I would like to make sure what you think. With the stock settings I ride fine with a passenger (~120pounds) but even though the luggage is only half that weight it did feel worse than with a passenger (weight distribution all at the back)

Should I be fine as is? or do I need to make any changes to the rear suspension? Harden the preload? (suspension noob)

I'll only be driving paved mountain roads, but they get pretty bumpy here. And no speed above 60 mph probably.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes?   Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Measure the distance from the rear axel bolt to a good point up around the back of the seat or tail rack when the rear shock is fully extended. Then add all your luggage and gear and sit on the bike with your full weight. Have someone measure the same two points. The difference between these two measurements is the "sag". The sag should be around 3.5 inches. IN other words, the rear shock should not compress more than about 3.5 inches from fully extended once you add all the weight you will be carrying including yourself.

If it compresses more than this, you should add some pre-load to the rear shock.

Some folks will like it more like 3 inches for knarly off road and jumps and such. 3.75 inch for hiway should give a softer ride, as long as the bike is still stable. Too much sag can cause teh bike to become unstable.

Ok, I am no expert. So you experienced folks should chime in here and correct anything I have stated that is incorrect. I am just repeating what I was told.

Back to top Go down

Weight on the back of bike. Any suspension changes?
Page 1 of 1