Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quick suspension help for a nit-wit. Adding weight.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oblivion

Oblivion

Quick suspension help for a nit-wit. Adding weight. Empty
PostSubject: Quick suspension help for a nit-wit. Adding weight.   Quick suspension help for a nit-wit. Adding weight. EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I know jack about adjusting suspension. I ride what I've got and adjust my riding, not the bike, to how that feels. Wrong, I know. Anyway, on my Seca w/ a 30-year old shock which is probably not doing much anyway, that's fine. But when my wife hopped on back of the WRR last weekend, it REALLY felt off. As usual, I adjusted to it, but it wasn't 'comfy' at all. I was nervous any time I had to turn and especially on gravel as it felt like the front end wanted to walk all over.

So quick, dirty question is, which suspension bits do I want to adjust to what ballpark for an extra 150-ish pounds of sexy and gear on back? I know it can't get 'dialed in' over e-mail, nor in 10 minutes with a wrench - I'm just looking for 'safer.' To my knowledge, all settings are still stock. The WRR shock has adjustment for:

Spring Preload (Standard 8.33", Min (hard) 8.11", Max (soft) 8.5")
Rebound Damping (Standard 12 clicks, Min (soft) 25 clicks, Max (hard) 3 clicks)
Compression Damping (Standard 10 clicks, Max (hard) 1 click, Min (soft) 12 clicks).

And should I touch the front as well? I've only got Rebound Damping (1-12 clicks default 10 (soft)) and Compression Damping (1 (hard)-19(soft) clicks, default 10) up there.

Any guidelines appreciated. Want to wrap up our empty-nest week (kid stayed w/ my folks) with a motorbike outing this evening.

bannana

Edit to add: The Service Manual directs us to pull the shock off the bike for adjustment. Is this necessary, or can I get away with getting the rear tire off the ground? Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Quick suspension help for a nit-wit. Adding weight.
Page 1 of 1