Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock wrench for removing rear wheel

Go down 
+7
RattTongue
TBird1
cryptomundo
wristpin
greer
Jäger
Bjur
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bjur

Stock wrench for removing rear wheel Empty
PostSubject: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 am

Does everyone use the stock 27mm wrench for removing the rear wheel, or do you carry a breaker bar and a 27mm socket? It seams like I would have to beat the stock wrench with a rock to get it to spin the rear axle bolt, since it's so short. Looking for some advise as far as what to carry for fixing flats in the trail. I have 2 nice spoon irons and a third smaller tire iron. I carry both front and rear tubes as well as a bag with patches, and a small pump. I'm worried that by just bringing the small stock wrench, I won't be able to get the wheel off. What do you do / bring? I use a mt-43 rear at 8-10 psi.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 5:00 am

Motion Pro combination tire irons/ axle wrenches. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 6:43 am

What Jager said, here you go:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0288

Or from Blue Ridge:

http://blueridgeracing.com/t7Tools.htm

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Bjur

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 am

Does anyone use the stock wrench?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 am

I did one time, and yes I had to have a rock.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Is there a stock wrench in my tool kit? I never saw one. It would be nice to know if I should have one.
Back to top Go down
Bjur

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Mine came with a small 5-6" double sided steel wrench with the 22 on one end and the 27 on the other. Maybe the previous owner realized how worthless it was and hucked it in the trees.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Jäger wrote:
Motion Pro combination tire irons/ axle wrenches. Awesome.

+1 thumb
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 pm

I repaired a roadside flat today on the way home from work. First time I used the stock tools. The short 27 MM wrench worked fine- with my foot. Very happy No rock needed!
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Thats good to know. I have been eye balling the motion pro levers, but good god they are expensive.
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:39 am

Maybe Motion Pro combo wrench group buy? One 22 and one 27. I know I need a set.

-smitty
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 pm

I used my Motion Pro spoon wrenches once to fix a flat on the trail. Boom! Paid for!
Don't forget the Enduro Star trail stand, gotta jack it up somehow. That was paid for in the garage before I got a fancy foot pedal lift.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 am

Bjur, I'm sure if you had to you would find a way to get that stock wrench to turn. I once jumped on mine as there were no rocks around. That said those combo wrenches are pretty sweet. Considering I get a flat about every other ride I'm gonna take a look at those.
Back to top Go down
No~One

No~One

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 am

I had to kick the hell out of the stock wrench with my foot, better to get the wrench combo that Jager posted.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 4:38 pm

No~One wrote:
I had to kick the hell out of the stock wrench with my foot, better to get the wrench combo that Jager posted.
Yes. But at the same time, the stock wrench DOES work. Especially when you're wearing a stiff soled riding boot and not sneakers or some other silliness. I didn't kick it, I kind of dropped my weight on it, like you would weight the downhill ski in a hard carving turn on the old traditional skis. And the torque was almost perfect when I went to retorque it when I got home.

But no matter how well the stock wrench does or doesn't work, if you're using that stock wrench you're not at home. And if you're removing the wheel away from home, it's because you have a wheel problem, probably a flat.

So you're left with the fact that you STILL need tire irons. Which is why those combination wrenches/tire spoons I mentioned are such a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock wrench for removing rear wheel   Stock wrench for removing rear wheel Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock wrench for removing rear wheel
Page 1 of 1