Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

LA to Vegas duel sport ride

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
titanpilot

LA to Vegas duel sport ride Empty
PostSubject: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 2:23 am

Looks like I'm going to try this ride in Nov. It starts in Palmdale on Friday Nov 25th. Spend the night in Barstow then continue on Sat to Las Vegas. Its a AMA sponsered ride put on by District 37.
Any one else thinking about it?

LABarstowVegas.com
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Wow, looks like fun. Who you riding with? But after all that riding and having to ride back from Vegas might be murder.
Back to top Go down
titanpilot

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 5:39 pm

BoredAzHell20 wrote:
Wow, looks like fun. Who you riding with? But after all that riding and having to ride back from Vegas might be murder.

Going with approx 7 guys plus a few wives
Were trailering the bikes. Biggest issue is trying to trailer them back to the ride starting point
I don't want to ride back to Palmdale from Las Vegas.
I figure I will be thrashed and done
With riding by that time.
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 6:00 pm

titanpilot wrote:
Looks like I'm going to try this ride in Nov. It starts in Palmdale on Friday Nov 25th. Spend the night in Barstow then continue on Sat to Las Vegas. Its a AMA sponsered ride put on by District 37.
Any one else thinking about it?

LABarstowVegas.com

I've helped out with this ride is various capacities for years. Ridden it on small bikes/big bikes. The last two years I've ridden the WR up from BullHead City, AZ. to Sandy Valley, NV. (via eastern portion of Mojave Road and then up north through Primm, NV.). That's your day 2 lunch/gas spot. I ride up and meet my friend Gil (the guy who lays out the course each year) and we ride into Vegas together. I'll likey follow that plan again this year. Logistics are the biggest hassle wih LA-B-V. If possble, I'd suggest you stay Sunday and drive back on Monday. The 15 fwy is a horror show on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 12:42 pm

I'd love to do this ride but not sure I want to be in a large group. Looking for some nice rides I can do from Friday, 18th to Monday, 28th (November). Would love to include this or meet with one or two others for a ride.

Problem: can't do really hard dual sport rides as I'm just getting into dirt riding and are rather a careful, slow rider. Any good suggestions to ride this time of year in California?

Oh, and I need to order those R wheels soon ... want to keep the X wheels for the road.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Cug: I tend to shy away from event driven adventures, but if you want to do one, and do one organized very well, in spite of the cost and logistics, this is the one to do.

Alternatively, with that much crew and as much adventure as you would ever want, you could base camp with your crew and ride for days in many different directions and on your own schedule.

It wasn't clear if your trailering meant toyhaulers or not, but if not, you could link rides and hoteling from California City, Ridgecrest, Barstow/Victorville and up into the Owens Valley (or day trip to Kennedy Meadows - sans trail closures) or go clear down to Johnson Valley/Cougar Butte area.

A couple toyhaulers basecamped in Red Mountain/Randsburg or Jawbone Canyon provides hundreds of miles of off-road access to everything from Gorman to Death Valley.

If you do the LAB2V definitely do NOT try to come home on Sunday. Better yet, TUESDAY !

Edit: As far as difficulty goes, you can ride expert to beginner graded dirt roads in most every direction as well.

Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:11 am

X-Racer wrote:
Cug: I tend to shy away from event driven adventures, but if you want to do one, and do one organized very well, in spite of the cost and logistics, this is the one to do.

Yeah, I don't want to do an organized tour this time around - I have more time I can spend this year and I want to take the time to slowly explore the area and get better at trail / dirt riding. I'm okay doing that alone by myself and camp wherever I need to, but have no problem doing the same with one or two other persons that have the same idea around this ride.

I'll take a closer look at your tips - I'm aware that Vegas is not a good idea around Thanksgiving and I'm not planning on going there at all. I might have fun for a few days in that area (if I even get there) and head back home by Friday or Saturday. Have to plan for a ride home as I neither own a toy hauler nor do I know anybody in the area here who has one. We have a single compact car (Volkswagen GTI), no trailer, therefore I'll ride the WR where I want to go - and I need to plan the trip back, won't be doing LV to Bay Area in a single day like I would with my GS.

At the moment I'm preparing the bike and myself. Adding luggage, dirt wheels, rear rack, trying to find a larger tank, ... basically I plan to setup the WR as a lightweight adventure trail bike to complement my heavyweight adventure travel bike (GS).

So, if anybody has good tips where to go in November for trail riding, desert riding, camping, and still have a chance of dry weather - I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 am

We have a crew that goes to Cal City (just past Mojave) on Wednesday through Monday for the last 30 years or so....

You're welcome to base camp there. You could day ride out from there without your gear packs.

I can't guarantee the weather, but I've got most everything you'd need to stay dry if it is not - Including a fire at night.

Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:30 am

This sounds pretty awesome. I have mostly what I need - a tent, though it's not the best tent for rain but I'll survive, other gear should be okay. Need to plan some food and water supply. Will send you a PM.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 am

We got the water and your tent covered (EZ-Up or equivilent).

Food too if ya let me know you're coming and what you want.

I can promise a couple toured 60-80 mile off-road rides out and emergency back-up for ya if you want to ride out further, but it's mostly a camping trip with friends for us.

I may bring my dualie and the dirt bike. Maybe we'll just bring the dualies. ...but the girl wants to ride her CRF I know that ! We'll see...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LA to Vegas duel sport ride   LA to Vegas duel sport ride Empty

Back to top Go down

LA to Vegas duel sport ride
Page 1 of 1