Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Camelbak users ?

Go down 
+5
mucker
sturgeon
gatorfan
SheWolf
Chrispy1200
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

So I'm potentially in the market for a Camelbak-type pack. I'm not a big fan of backpacks as I find they get in the way if too big and mess up my balance if too heavy but I think I could tolerate a small Camelbak with a bit of storage for wallet, keys, etc. I've never used a Camelbak before but since they appear to fit so close to the body, maybe my worries are unfounded.

So any Camelbak users that feel the same as I do about backpacks ? Anything to look for when shopping ? Any other brand names to look for ?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I've got a nice, compact Camelback, it holds what I need and is also hi viz which is nice for road and trail.
Camelback!

gatorfan

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Go to the REI website if you want to look at multiple brands/sizes/features in one place. They have a good website and list all specs and have good pics.

I often use their website just to learn what's out there and what my options are.

I agree, keep it light on the back.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 5:31 pm

I've got a Camelbak Lobo that I mostly use for cross-country skiing, but I have used it on the bike too, if I think there'll be long stretches with little to no water. It doesn't hold much else, other than a (very) small first-aid kit and a couple of power bars for a snack. I don't really notice it when I'm wearing it, unless it's really hot. I've got an Osprey Talon II backpack that I use on the bike when I want to carry a bit more (like going for a few groceries). It's nice because you can set it up so that there's no flapping straps. And it'll hold the bladder from the Camelbak if I want to carry water plus a bit more, like lunch or a sweater. As I said, I don't really notice the pack on my back, unless parts of it are flapping around in the breeze. There are lots of small packs on the market now that are designed to also hold a water bladder. If I'd been able to find one when I bought the Camelbak, I would probably have bought the pack plus a bladder instead. Places that cater to skiers or mountain-bikers often have a good selection.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I've got a large, older hydra pak from mountain biking...even large doesn't hold much, but enough water and very sleek...nice unit.
I recently got a blackhawk 3 day tactical pack...huge for my needs. 24 cans on top of my daily wares no problem. I love how tough it is (considering i've broken others). 3L bladder leaves lotsa room for ice n water...which is a nice cool spot on a hot day.
Anywho, I luv the large pack/trunk. Makes my bike more useful than ever. Even if mostly empty, most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:31 pm

My backpack doesn't mess up my balance because I always wear it. Maybe I'd be unbalanced if I wasn't wearing it?
Get one with a waist belt and chest strap so that you can fit it to not shift or bounce.

I use a Camelbak NV HAWG for dual-sporting because it has a 3-liter bladder. I also carry a liter reserve in the summertime or liter coffee thermos in the wintertime. Besides a few small personal items, I've gotten in the habit of carrying my Monarch A-lite chair so I always have a comfortable seat when I find a cool kickback spot to enjoy that coffee and cigar. Getting there may be more than half the fun, but might as well enjoy it while you're there too :)
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 8:39 pm

One definite plus of "Camelbacks" is you can freeze the water the night before and it will keep you cool on super hot days - at least until you drink the water. Have done this on many day hikes (on foot). Works brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:38 pm

I have two a small one with limited storage for summer and dirt use and a larger one for cold weather that I can put extra layers of clothing in.

One trick I use is to rinse the baldder and put it in the freezer when not using it. That way I don't have to worry about mold or mildew growing in it.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Ah...freezer...good idea...thanks.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 pm

I've got the Camelbak Mule, it's nice and has good expandable storage and does not interfere with anything. I chose orange for the added visibility.

Camelbak users ?  4431_1
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Mucker, need I say don't fill the bladder to the top before you freeze it?
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 pm

I feel the same way.
I have the mule 102 oz and the sabre 70 oz.

The mule is just a tad too heavy when full, it tends to pull me a bit.
The sabre is just right but I ran out of water once and it is NOT GOOD!.
Now I wear the sabre but carry two bottles of water on my rear rack.

Also note the sabre has a very small zipper pocket for storage, too small for car keys, cell phone and my big manly man wallet.
The mule carries 102 oz of water and everything in your basement. Easily gets outta hand with so much storage.

The perfect balance in my opinion would be the:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/camelbak-ambush.html

102 oz bladder: that we don't have to fill completely.
Adequate amount of storage for a good days' ride.
Military spec: longer hose, big bite with cover and heavy duty stitching.

Good luck on your hunt. thumb
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Very happy Very happy Very happy
Just realized this thread is 6 months old!!!

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Very happy Very happy Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Camelbak users ?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelbak users ?    Camelbak users ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Camelbak users ?
Page 1 of 1