Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

first tuneup way expensive!

Go down 
+3
skierd
mucker
rangehound
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rangehound

first tuneup way expensive! Empty
PostSubject: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I have a new 2012 WR250R. Most dealers I have spoken to want $250 for the first tune up.

That is more than I pay for my car. Is this amount correct? Why so much and what should I get for this much money?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 10:15 pm

I got a full maintence, incl. lubing all pivots, steering head, and 30 for inspection sticker, on my '08 for about 300 cdn...
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:23 am

Ask the dealer what it entails. I had a full service (oil change, filter cleaning, all suspension pivots greased including head bearings, and valves adjusted) for $250. At 600 miles you really just need an oil change. Its 2qts of oil and a $10 filter at full msrp.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 2:50 am

Check what their doing. the first service should definately be more then oil and filter. we are supposed to do pretty much the entire predelivery again to ensure everything is settling and wearing correctly. but in saying that, $250 is a bit steep. i would think to do it properly your looking 1-1.5hrs labour plus parts. i did 3 wrr 1st services the week before xmas and they all ran about the AU$130-160 (my labour rate is only $70p/hr compared to some city dealers up to $140p/hr)
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I paid $195 cdn. The salesman screwed up though. He quoted me a price of "under $200". When I picked the bike up the service guys said he played with the numbers to get it under $200. Should have been around $275 cdn. Sounds like a pretty constant price for the first service. (and probably the only service I will get them to do)
Back to top Go down
telet

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:00 pm

way to much. first servis 600miles/1000km is only a oil filter and oil change. + control (but u can do that alone) that's all.
oil yamalube 4-s 10w40 13,35€
oil filter yamaha 5YP 8.90€
1,5 hrs labour 30€ :)))

52,25 € = 68,26 $

next time i buy a new bike, fuck the warranty :)
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 am

telet wrote:
way to much. first servis 600miles/1000km is only a oil filter and oil change.
This is not correct. its this sort of uninformed rubbish that gives alot of good dealers a bad name. a properly carried out 1st service should be oil and filter, a/f clean, chain tension and condition check, spoke tension and wheel trueness check, retensioning of all accessable fasteners from tank shrouds to engine mounts, and test ride. Basically the entire pre delivery service again. how are YOU going to assess the operation of the bike after your "oil and filter change" when your not a yamaha technician trained in the proper operation and servicing of the bike, who has ridden any number of the same bike to make comparisons against.

I dont care if people do their own servicing, more power too you. but dont come in here bitching about how people are being ripped off when you have no idea what the dealer has actually done and what it costs to actually run a dealership. the total price you've put there is my hourly labour rate ($68 and most big dealers are over $100) and for for your information that $70 doesnt cover the costs of paying a mechanic and actually opening the doors for the hour.

I bet you'd be the first person back in here bitching when somethings not right that would have been fixed in a service by a qualified tech.
Back to top Go down
telet

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am

bitching???
don't be a smart ass.
i have a bill. the bike was serviced at the official yamaha dealership. and even a mechanic at that service said that the service price are over the top. but
cuz they know you have to bring the bike to them for first service if you want a warranty they can have high prices.
and the first service is never worth a 30€ for 1,5 hour work.

and that's why i pay my mechanic for a car after he is done working at work (at he official service for my car) . cuz i know he can fix the car and he will not screw me at price/hour.

and if someone is bitching that would be you.
have a nice day.

Back to top Go down
v-tec

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 pm

millert85 wrote:
telet wrote:
way to much. first servis 600miles/1000km is only a oil filter and oil change.
This is not correct. its this sort of uninformed rubbish that gives alot of good dealers a bad name. a properly carried out 1st service should be oil and filter, a/f clean, chain tension and condition check, spoke tension and wheel trueness check, retensioning of all accessable fasteners from tank shrouds to engine mounts, and test ride. Basically the entire pre delivery service again. how are YOU going to assess the operation of the bike after your "oil and filter change" when your not a yamaha technician trained in the proper operation and servicing of the bike, who has ridden any number of the same bike to make comparisons against.

I dont care if people do their own servicing, more power too you. but dont come in here bitching about how people are being ripped off when you have no idea what the dealer has actually done and what it costs to actually run a dealership. the total price you've put there is my hourly labour rate ($68 and most big dealers are over $100) and for for your information that $70 doesnt cover the costs of paying a mechanic and actually opening the doors for the hour.

I bet you'd be the first person back in here bitching when somethings not right that would have been fixed in a service by a qualified tech.

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first tuneup way expensive!   first tuneup way expensive! Empty

Back to top Go down

first tuneup way expensive!
Page 1 of 1