Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How do I cross a log?

Go down 
+6
Arkmage
dtx
john westcott
TKO
YZEtc
A66auto
10 posters
AuthorMessage
A66auto

How do I cross a log? Empty
PostSubject: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 12:57 am

Sooo I was practicing at a local OHV park (Prairie City Road) today and I was getting bored when I noticed an old telephone pole that was laying on the ground. I'm still a very green rider so I thought I would try something new and attempted to cross the pole.

The first time was a disaster. I hit the log a little to fast because I was trying to wheelie, but I didn't get the timing right so my front tire pogo'ed over the log and my rear stopped when it hit the log. I went over the handle bars and ate a little dirt.

The next few times were not as bad and by the end figured out how to get over the log in two steps.

1. Approach slowly and let the front tire walk over the log and the bike will come to a complete stop when the back tire hits.
2. Press back from the log with my legs then give it a little throttle and bounce over.

I'm sure there is a better way to get over, can someone give me some advice?

Thanks
Alex
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 8:37 am

As you become more comfortable with doing what you are doing, the next step is carrying more speed and momentum, allowing you to get the rear wheel over without stopping.

The bike is generally most stable with the throttle open, or opened at the correct time.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 10:28 am

Teach a man to fish . . . wink
Back to top Go down
john westcott

john westcott

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:16 am

One wheel at a time.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Just before i come in contact with the log i push the bike down,hop on the pegs. This compresses the suspension,as i contact the log the bike has started to rise back up.It continues up and over the log.
Just floats over it. Getting the timing just right will take a few trips.
You may have noticed the if you close the throttle the front end will drop.So an open eaven throttle,not wot, will keep the wr from hitting it nose down.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 10:02 am

Around here we rarely have to cross anything bigger than 10-12" tall. I downshift to first, stand up, smack the throttle wide open about 2 ft from the log... once the front end is over I'll back out of the throttle (not closed, probably about 1/2 open) until the back tire clears.

I'm still new at this myself so I'm not really smooth at it. It works though. Occasionally this method will result in both wheels being off the ground for a fair distance after the log so don't do it this way if there is a tree right on the other side... it can hurt.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Approach log at 45 degree angle - preferably when wet. When the front tire hits the log and the bike flies out from under you, lean towards log. This should land you squarely on the other side of the log. It works for me all the time.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I learned this at the Trials Training Center up near Chattanooga, TN (great course by the way).

They teach the "double blip" method.
As you approach the log give the suspension a good compression, as it rises give the throttle a blip to get the front tire up. Ideally you want the front tire to rise about 2/3 the height of the log. Let that first blip carry your front tire to contact the log, just as it contacts it, give it another blip. This will carry the front tire over the log as well as the center of the bike and the back tire. If your timing is right and your blips are accurate, the skid plate never touches the log and your rear tire climbs up and over. You land just like landing a jump, rear wheel first. Even if you get it wrong, you usually have enough momentum to carry you over the log. It just does not look as graceful.
We were clearing 18"+ high diameter logs (some of them in quick succession to one another) with no problems. We used the same method to get up on top of some rocks that were about 36" high. Granted we were on real, live Trials bikes but I've used the method to clear some logs on my WRR that would have scared the pee out of me before I took the class.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Youtube is your friend. wink

Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:59 am

gatorfan wrote:
Approach log at 45 degree angle - preferably when wet. When the front tire hits the log and the bike flies out from under you, lean towards log. This should land you squarely on the other side of the log. It works for me all the time.

It's almost as if you were taught by me poser2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I cross a log?   How do I cross a log? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I cross a log?
Page 1 of 1