Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? Empty
PostSubject: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm getting R wheels for my X, and planning 4 day ADV forum ride (see 'Ontario Ride 2012'.)
There should be dirt, sand, water crossings and mud, and maybe rock too.
The tires will be used 80 - 90 % off pavement.

I want good traction for the above. I don't care that much about longevity, but they should last through a 2,000 km extended weekend (last meaning still work OK in dirt & mud.)

Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I might have some Dunlop 606's with less than 100kms on them for sale. I''m coming to the realization that whenever I mount up the dirt wheels on my X, I need every bit of traction I can in the sandy enduro trails around here and I'm thinking about going to non-DOT motocross tires.

I also have a set of like new stock BT090's than came OEM with my X. I'll let both sets go for a special package price. wink
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
I might have some Dunlop 606's with less than 100kms on them for sale. I''m coming to the realization that whenever I mount up the dirt wheels on my X, I need every bit of traction I can in the sandy enduro trails around here and I'm thinking about going to non-DOT motocross tires.

I also have a set of like new stock BT090's than came OEM with my X. I'll let both sets go for a special package price. wink
If I was going to the Montreal bike show this year (can't, busy that weekend), I might buy your 606 for the right price.

As for the BT090, I hated the profile of those tires - ran out of edge on the rear tire way too early. I might put a new set of BT090 on again, if they were new *and* free. Maybe.

Have you signed up for the Ontario Ride 2012 on ADV? At least half of it (it's a 4 day ride) will be in QC, likely more like 75%. It starts somewhere near Ottawa.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Not sure I have range for that run. I'll watch the thread to see how it progresses, looks like a sizeable group already.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 pm

The 606s are great all around, and I think they are popular because they are durable. If you don't care about longevity there are much much better tires out there, at least for the front.

I have 606s on my R set, and had them on my DRZ. If I ever wear out the 606s I am going to try out the Pirelli Scorpion All Pro Front. The 606 rear is pretty hard to beat for its longevity. On a more top heavy bike like the DRZ the front washed out a bit in a variety of situations. Running them at 15 psi, or less with rimlock, made a big difference. Even still, on slicker terrain the front got a little sketchy. I am sure the weight of the bike and rider had something to do with it too, but by all accounts I have read, there are better fronts out there.

I am planning on doing that ride too with a few buddies from this area (southeast PA). Not sure which bike though, the KLR685 might be a little more comfy for the super long days on gravel roads. If the WR, I'll just use the 606s. If the KLR, it will have Michelin T63s.
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:49 am

For what you are describing I think you would like the Trackmaster II in back and the Dunlop 952 in front. I went with this after several good reviews of the combo and have been very happy with it as a non-bluegroove wet to intermediate setup. The rear is DOT legal the front is not, but rides great on road also.

D606 rear I found ok, but I hated the front D606 in wet conditions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?   R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud? Empty

Back to top Go down

R wheels on an X, which tires for dirt & mud?
Page 1 of 1