Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?

Go down 
+6
IAmABug
kbike
Just Bob
dtx
motokid
jkstehn
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jkstehn

X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  Empty
PostSubject: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

Back in the spring of 09 my youngest daughter flew the nest to college and the promise to not ride motorcycles until the girls grew up was fulfilled. I had a blast completing the MSF course and then deployed and spent the summer floating around West Africa reading ADVrider and stumbling onto the WR250 mega thread. My thoughts of a BMW 650 now were firmly fixed on a WR250R. Then along came Rydnseek with his X and its fat tires. That intrigued me and his commentary about how well it worked and was a lot like a mountain bike with its fat tires made me open to the idea.

I have been mostly lurking here and on ADVrider for 2 and 1/2 years, another West Africa deployment and a transfer from Cape Cod to SoCal. 2012 will be the year though. cheers I now have boots, pants, jacket helmet. Going to get the gloves and a Leatt brace this week. ATGATT since I work in medicine and know the consequences. cripple cry

I predict that I will be a slower and reasonable rider (enough years and time working the ER to realize that I am breakable and mortal) and I have been thinking that the fatties Rydnseek and a few others have touted for their excellent adventures bow, would be a good choice for increasing my chances of surviving my inevitable encounters with sand. I would rather not have to just lean back and roll on throttle as the only option.

So.... for a 43 y/o basically new rider in SoCal who is going to have to ride about 60 miles of pavement before hitting any trails on a Saturday, what do you think will work better, An X with dirt tires or an R? :hmmm:

I also understand that the benefit to a 21" front tire is the increased ability to roll over obstacles, but does it make that much difference?

The way I see it I get an R and put on a MT43 or 606 and something else up front or an X and put on Shinko 244 or MT-21s.

All thoughts appreciated and especially would like to hear from anyone who has ridden both setups and has some real comparison.

Jonathan

PS: I would love any leads on a WR250? within about 4 hours drive from San Pedro, CA in the 3000-4000 price range.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:33 am

To me, sounds like you want an R.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:54 pm

As your plans do include off road make it an "r", easy to spoon on a less agressive tire for street use and still be good for mild off road stints.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 pm

jkstehn wrote:

I also understand that the benefit to a 21" front tire is the increased ability to roll over obstacles, but does it make that much difference?

HUGE difference in stability and tracking off road. Not a big penalty on the asphalt. Look at the KTM Adventurer and how much tarmac milage they're used for. And... I had a BMW 650. The WR2 is twice the bike. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 am

So so you think the size of the 21" rim affects the stability while rolling and makes it easier to balance the bike on the rough stuff or it is just more stable because the wheel has an easier time rolling over stuff?
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 am

I think it has more to do with the increased gyroscopic effect of the larger wheel. Nothing to do with rolling over stuff.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks, that is good info about the larger front wheel. I have noticed the same thing with a 29" wheel mountain bike vs a 26" wheel. Just seems smoother and more stable with a slight penalty to maneuverability.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Here is my spin on the X vs R. I have an X, mainly because that was the only one available at the time I was looking to buy. My plan was to buy a 21" front after first trying out a 17" knobby. It's been a year now and I still have the 17". If you are a intermediate to expert, fast rider, then I'd go for the 21". I usually ride with guys on CR450X's XR650's, and KTM 450-525's, keeping up is not a problem, only my ability is. I also have a KTM 525 that I ride at about the same speed. I'll take either bike for a ride depending on what mood I'm in.
The biggest drawback for the 17" for tail riding is the extra weight, also if the air pressure is too high the wheel bounces a lot. 8-10 lbs seems to work the best. The tire tends to float more in sand and is a little harder to ride at slow speeds.
I guess the bottom line for me is that if I didn't have the 525 I'd probably get a 21" front, but for relaxed trail, single track riding, dualsporting, and definitely street riding, a WR250X would be a good choice.
You can't go wrong with either! cheers cheers

X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  CIMG3415-M
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Another thought to consider is the suspension. The WRX is tuned more to street with a little less travel. The WRR is tuned more for the dirt. If you are wanting to ride off the beaten trail, I would buy the WRR.
Back to top Go down
jefmad

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

IAmABug wrote:
Another thought to consider is the suspension. The WRX is tuned more to street with a little less travel. The WRR is tuned more for the dirt. If you are wanting to ride off the beaten trail, I would buy the WRR.
This is incorrect. The suspension between the X and R is the same. The only difference is the color on the front forks and the factory settings on the exact same suspension.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Last time I checked at a site with parts, the rear shock has a different part #, and the forks have a valve that is a different part #.
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Answered   X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 2:09 am

It's an R! Very happy

Picked up a 2008 R tonight.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I hope to be riding the backroads and trails of SoCal as soon as I can get the registration done.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Gratz. You won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm

i have nearly only rode 21 inch wheel bikes on the road since 17 years old. I don't know what the hype is, regarding my X, sure its quite cool to look at, but at 41 years old, I seriously don't need it.

I only have the X as I don't have the opportunity to ride trails anymore, if I rode the trails, I would have no doubt and have the R (or KTM EXC, or Honda CRM etc etc)

Geoff.
Back to top Go down
YamaLink

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Not quite the same.

jefmad wrote:
IAmABug wrote:
This is incorrect. The suspension between the X and R is the same. The only difference is the color on the front forks and the factory settings on the exact same suspension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?    X or R?  That is the question, but does it really matter?  Empty

Back to top Go down

X or R? That is the question, but does it really matter?
Page 1 of 1