Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wheel balancing

Go down 
+2
Arkmage
yaw
6 posters
AuthorMessage
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 am

Just put on some new 606's and decided I try to balance my R wheels. The rear required 4.5 oz and the front 2.5 oz. Seems like a lot of weights. The 1/2 oz don't fit the rim so I'm using 18 1/4 oz weights on the back and 10 on the front. I just wanted to make sure this amount seems reasonable. And I wanted to make sure I was placing them in the correct area. I've put them on the outside of the rim on both sides of the wheel (ie in the same plane as the tire sidewall). With this much weight should I consider attaching weights to the spokes instead? Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 am

That does sounds like quite a bit. I needed (5) 1/4 ounce on my front and (9) 1/4 ounce on the back with my Shinkos and they are notorious for being crap balance.

What method did you use? Balance or spin?
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 am

You dont want to put the weights on that surface..they will fly right off.
You should put them on the other surface (horizontal) The inside of the wheel (the flat surface next to where the spokes are attached)

And did you check if the tire had any mark for airvent? some tires do and on some of them spot should face the vent and some one is opposit side..

So sometimes its worth a try to spin the tire half a lap to get rid of weights.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:55 pm

mr-cave wrote:

So sometimes its worth a try to spin the tire half a lap to get rid of weights.
This. Rotating the tire on the rim should negate some of those weights.
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for the feedback.   wheel balancing EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 am

I'll try spinning the tire first to see if that helps. I lined the yellow dot up with the stem. Will post the results. Thanks for all the help!
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: spun the rear tire   wheel balancing EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I spun the rear tire so the yellow dot is now at the point on the rim where I had been adding weights. I'm now adding weights just a few inches from there. I had to put on 3.5 oz. That is 1 oz less than before. Does this seem alright?
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: well this is frustrating   wheel balancing EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Did the same thing with the front wheel. I spun the yellow dot 180 degrees from the stem. Now I've had to increase the weights from 2.5 oz to 4 oz. What gives?
Back to top Go down
freetors

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 pm

You could try balancing the wheel without the tire on first, then install the tire and add a the necessary weight to re balance. Supposedly modern tires are pretty well balanced and it's the actual wheel that needs attention.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Find the heavy spot on each wheel without the tire mounted and mark it on the wheel. Mount up the yellow dot to the heavy mark that you created (assuming Dunlop uses yellow dot to mean light part of tire). If you really want to go all out you could mount the tube only and then find the heavy spot.

Make sure you're getting the tire to seat correctly - there is a ring on the tire close to the rim which should be an equal distance from the rim all the way around.
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: one more time   wheel balancing EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 am

I took off the front tire. I spun the rim by itself and found it was balanced. Then I put the HD tube on and it reuired 2oz to balance. Next I will put the tire on. Does anyone know for sure if the yellow dot is the lightest part of the tire for the Dunlop 606?
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: front tire   wheel balancing EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 3:38 am

Patially mounted the front tire. Balanced it. Spun the tire so that the yellow mark was on the opposite side of the weights. Was able to reduce the weights to 1.5 oz. Going to re-attack the rear tire with same technique. Getting better at changing my tires in any case.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Just want to be certain I'm reading correctly. You ended up with only 1.5oz of weights on the front? If so, then it would seem that the tube is more out of balance than the tire. I'm curious where the weights were placed relative to the stem.

If you live close by and you work cheap, I'll hire you to mount and balance the next set of rubber I get for my WRR! deal
Back to top Go down
yaw

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: update   wheel balancing EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Finally got around to the rear wheel. Again the wheel itself was perfectly balanced. Put on the HD tube and I needed 3.5 oz. Put on the tire and still needed 3.5 oz. Tire postion didn't seem to affect.

Heoz- where in the States do you live. I"m heading out the door now to help change your tires. Will be there in...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wheel balancing Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheel balancing   wheel balancing Empty

Back to top Go down

wheel balancing
Page 1 of 1