Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Part Needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 am

I picked up my 08 wr250r on Saturday. I started taking a look under the hood yesterday, and discovered that the airbox door is missing! dddog
I have gone and done some reading and have found there could be issues with running to lean. I haven't dug in enough yet to see if the air flapper is also gone, but I think its just the door as I can still see the solenoid at the top of the box. Right now, I really don't want to damage the bike by running to lean, and I'm not ready to purchase a programmer or exhaust etc. For now, I would just like stock till I can build up some funds and perform the mods properly if I decide to do so. Anyway, does anyone have an airbox door they would be willing to part with? Very happy

Also, just out of curiosity, I thought I saw someplace that you could use a resistor of some sort to trick the air sensor to richen it up? Could anyone provide anymore info on that? When I try to search it, I come up using resistors for a servo mod...not really what I'm looking for.
Thanks for the help!!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 am

I'm thinking there's some tinkering you can do in "diagnostic mode".

See this thread here. <-- clicky

Not sure if that'll help or not.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks Motok. I quickly skimmed through that thread and it's pretty interesting. I will for sure dig into it a bit more when done working thumb
I cannot for the life of me find the thread anyplace where it discussed tricking a sensor into thinking the temps where colder to richen the fuel mixture. Kind of a po boys cheat on a programmer Very happy
My concern, is just running to lean till I can come up with an airbox door. If I'm going to mod, I would like to ensure my bases are covered. At least somewhat lol. I haven't yet seen any proof that damage will be done to the engine (maybe I missed it) but I'm not prepared to take those chances just yet.

Sidenote: So far, I love this bike.
Back to top Go down
ramz

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Quote :
I cannot for the life of me find the thread anyplace where it discussed tricking a sensor into thinking the temps where colder to richen the fuel mixture.
I saw a thread on supermotojunkie that discussed doing this....
Back to top Go down
beemerwolf

beemerwolf

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 pm

if you are still concerned about the airbox door missing, just grab a roll of good old 100 mile per hour tape and cover it up with 1 good layer, then add 1 more layer on top of it making sure you secured if far enough down the sides.

Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am

motokid wrote:
I'm thinking there's some tinkering you can do in "diagnostic mode".

See this thread here. <-- clicky

Not sure if that'll help or not.

Motokid, I read the thread when I finally got a minute to commit. Great stuff man thumb Thanks for hookin me up with the link. I would still really like to find an airbox door, but either way, this is great information and if the bike runs lean out da box, richening up won't hurt.

As far as the resistors and diodes to richen the mixture. I have seen it mentioned in various places. I know there is also the servo mod set up with resistors, but this is still different I believe. It tricks a sensor into thinking the engine is cooler than it actually is and adds more fuel. I've read about it in several threads, but never seen much about actually how to do it.

Again, thanks Kid beavis

Also, I think I saw someone offer up $10 bones for an airbox door. If that sounds fair to anyone lmk.
Back to top Go down
rowyco-1

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Just my suggestion, with only the airbox door removed, you're not going to be running too lean and you shouldn't hurt the motor at all. Plus I see that you are in Colorado. With the altitude, your probably closer to stock with the lid off. I ran mine with no airbox lid for a while and I was closer to 500 ft. It ran just fine. Now I'm at 5000 ft, but I've also done the mods to compensate.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 am

rowco, great points! My elevation here is just under 5000'. Upon further inspection, I have discovered the flap is also missing...argghh. Honestly, I am the type that would end up doing the mods anyway. Maybe I'm just odd, but on something like this, I almost feel cheated! I want to do it myself. I know it's not that big of a deal, and yes I would probably just get a door only to end up removing it myself...but that's my point lol. poser2 I want to do it myself. Plus, I just bought the bike, so my pockets seem to be mostly lint at the moment. I paid cash that I save up for my bike and some basic protective essential protective gear. I need to start saving again for pipe, programmer, tires ect. thumb
But you bring up great pionts row and much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 am

The flapper being gone isn't a HUGE deal at all.

For an R rider I would want that airbox door if you're actually spending time off-road and not using bike as mostly an asphalt companion.

Also - the airbox door being off is a HUGE increase in air and without a fuel programmer I'd be very concerned about over-lean conditions. I'm not saying rowyco-1 is wrong, but ........

If you still have stock exhaust you're pretty corked up on that end, but I would still want that airbox door.

I can tell you there's a very real seat-of-the-pants difference in feel when riding the wr with the airbox door off verses on.
It does make a big difference. So it surely must make things leaner than stock.

Have you searched eBay for the door?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rowyco-1

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey Thunder,
You could probably just have my airbox door. I've got the x version that I don't like getting dirty so I only ride it when the weather is good. I've already got a programmer to make the air and fuel adjustments. And I've already got a pipe. It's yours if you want it. PM me your address.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Pm sent! Thanks man. I really appreciate it Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Part Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part Needed   Part Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Part Needed