Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Easy Cheap Integrated Tail Light Mod

Go down 
AuthorMessage
outlaw230

outlaw230

Easy Cheap Integrated Tail Light Mod Empty
PostSubject: Easy Cheap Integrated Tail Light Mod   Easy Cheap Integrated Tail Light Mod EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am

This doesn't get rid of the fender, just the orange blinkers that I kept kicking. I followed the instructions from this guy:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115814-How-I-swaped-a-08-WR250X-Tail-Light-and-Turn-Signals-w-a-35-02-YZF-R1-Tail-Light

It works great, and all I needed was the $35 tail light (its actually an after market integrated tail light for an '02 R1). The R1 light has a circuit board in it that integrates the blinkers into the brake light. It does require some wire splicing, but when I was finished it looked like it came from the factory.

He does a fairly good job of explaining what to do, and there are pictures for those visual learners. I think he even has a video of a post installation test. There are a few important things he left out, so I figured it was worth posting:

1. The R1 tail light fits perfectly into the stock tail fender, except for a small plastic bracket on the R1 tail light that keeps it from being flush after putting it in. I just broke it off with some pliers.

2. The R1 tail light doesn't come with the little foam weather strip that is on the stock tail light. I just carefully peeled it off the stock tail light and put on the new one. I think its actually to make it more snug in the hole that it is for keeping water out.

3. Before installation, I ensured that the R1 tail light is completely water proof by fingering in some clear silicone around all the edges of the casing for the tail light (not on the fender).

4. He just used electrical tape to seal up the wires. I do a good bit of off-roading so I wanted more protection. I used liquid electrical tape and put a good coat over all exposed connections. I then taped them up. I also took the rubber shielding off of the stock blinker wires and fed the new blinker wires through them for some added protection.

5. He doesn't mention that you have to cut some zip ties off that are holding the wires to the frame. Make sure you have some new ones available if you do this mod (they are cheap)

6. There are holes left in the fender where the blinkers used to be. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. Its just cosmetic, but the whole reason for doing the mod is cosmetic so... yeah. Any suggestions?

7. To make sure you don't have the blinkers backwards, test them BEFORE re-assembly.

It took me about an hour to do the mod once I had everything I needed. I am no mechanic. I'd say this is a 3/10 difficulty. I have had it over a month now and no problems. I had so much mud on it you couldn't even tell that there was a tail light, and it cleaned up just fine. Ill try to get some pictures
Back to top Go down

Easy Cheap Integrated Tail Light Mod
Page 1 of 1