Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

ATF as Fork Oil??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bfgjohno

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:52 am

Hi,

I'm out in Kenya and my forks seals have gone. New fork seals arrived and ready to replace but everyone looks at me askance when I ask for some 5wt fork oil (or fork oil at all!). The locals use ATF in their Chinese bikes' front forks. I read somewhere that ATF is about 5-7.5 wt. Can I go ahead and use it??

Cheers and thanks for any help,

John
Back to top Go down
duanew

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 am

I think that ATF is supposed to be closer to 10WT. I have heard people comment about it that is too thick for modern USD forks like on the WR. It would do if you cannot find anything else.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 pm

ATF was used on old-fashioned damper rod forks.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I've used ATF in most of my bikes. The WR is the first of 8 that's actually had fork oil in it and that's only because I paid enough for the bike to give a shi*

The damping is going to feel considerably different so take it easy the first few days until you adjust.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

my riding buddy tom uses synth atf in his forks, & when he helped me (read: he did it) put my new fork seals in, we used that. It seems to work fine.
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks to you all for your input. Tracked down some WP fork oil in nairobi (at an obscene amount of KES).

Anyone fancy a trip to east Africa - there's a couple of big tanked Wr250R's available................?

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATF as Fork Oil??   ATF as Fork Oil?? Empty

Back to top Go down

ATF as Fork Oil??
Page 1 of 1