Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Removing the Lower Shock bolt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Racig

Removing the Lower Shock bolt Empty
PostSubject: Removing the Lower Shock bolt   Removing the Lower Shock bolt EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 am

I tried to lower the rear suspension following the instructions at wrrdualsport.com. I got the bike on an improvised stand, and removed the connecting rod. But I haven't been able to get the bolt to move at all. (Step #3 of the instructions.) I don't have a punch but used a piece of hardwood and a heavy hammer (which worked for the connecting rod). Is it really necessary to use a punch for this or is there some trick involved? I spent a good 30 minutes whacking away at it without any movement at all.
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Lower Shock bolt   Removing the Lower Shock bolt EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 pm

A punch can be anything, like a 3/8 extention, old bolt, screwdriver etc... But it is neccessary to get some of those bolts out because there is a load on them. You might also lift on the rear wheel at the same time and it can help loosen it.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Lower Shock bolt   Removing the Lower Shock bolt EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

1) Loosen all the bolts first.
2) Remove the swing arm pivot bolt first.
3) Then when you lift the tire a little the other bolts will slide right out nice and easy.

I've done this a few times now and have never had to use a punch or force anything apart. Remember, if it's loaded such that you can't get it apart you are going to have hell putting it back together. Get rid of that binding load and it will all come apart easily.
Back to top Go down
Racig

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Lower Shock bolt   Removing the Lower Shock bolt EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Arkmage wrote:

2) Remove the swing arm pivot bolt first.

It hadn't occurred to me to remove the swing arm pivot bolt. I'll try that next time and see how it goes.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Lower Shock bolt   Removing the Lower Shock bolt Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing the Lower Shock bolt
Page 1 of 1