Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

removing jam bolt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
michiko

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyThu May 28, 2015 8:20 pm

has anyone removed the shock jam bolt or have any thoughts about doing so.

it seems you can remove the shock jam bolt to lower the stock shock about another 1cm. and then just using thread locker instead. the bolt itself doesnt seem to be of great importance as realistically it doesnt look like the shock would rotate on that thread.

any opinions would be welcome as i am thick as s.....
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyThu May 28, 2015 9:00 pm

I wonder if the threads would be ruined by any minute play with the threaded parts allowing them to beat each other to death.
The lock nut (I assume you meant nut, not bolt) keeps tension between the two parts.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyThu May 28, 2015 9:35 pm

There was a pic of someones bike set up like this on here some wheres.
I cant see it hurting anything if you use lock tight on it.

The only thing you need to check is the shock to swingarm clearance after you shorten the stock that much, the shorter you make the shock the closer the spring gets to the swingarm.
Back to top Go down
michiko

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyThu May 28, 2015 11:03 pm

thanks for the input. one thing ill have to do is cut the bolt down with a grinder whcih is a little bit risky
Back to top Go down
michiko

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyThu May 28, 2015 11:04 pm

yeap i meant jam nut. i even managed to get the title wrong. i would love to see those pictures. anyway any ideas on how much it would lower the bike by.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyFri May 29, 2015 9:24 am

I dont know the exact leverage ratio but it some wheres around 3 to 1 so shortening the shock 1 cm will lower the bike close to 3 cm.

The tread with a pic of a bike set up like this is called " WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery." its on page 3 in this section of the forum, I cant make it a link for you dont know how...
Back to top Go down
michiko

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt EmptyFri May 29, 2015 12:19 pm

hey thanks biglake for going out of your way. i went ahead with it earlier this evening, firstly i tried with the shock attached but clearly it was going to be a lot faster if took it off which i did.
i then took the nut off and cut about 1.2cm off the bolt. used a file to clean up the threads.but it all back together. with the wheel fully extended the shock hit the shock hit the swing arm. i backed off the connecter about .2cm and it was spot on with more than enough clearance. put a whole lot of thread locker on and job done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

removing jam bolt Empty
PostSubject: Re: removing jam bolt   removing jam bolt Empty

Back to top Go down

removing jam bolt
Page 1 of 1