Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Honda Coming Out

Go down 
+5
jgia
oic0
bigg
Arkmage
gatorfan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

New Honda Coming Out Empty
PostSubject: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Anybody see this 700 cc "Adventure Bike"? There is an automatic tranny version.

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm

The wife sent me a link a few weeks back. I would very much like to test ride one. Looks like a promising commuter.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:30 pm

yeah my dad has an eye out for it especially because of the automatic transmission. My mom doesn't like it sitting back there and experience *roughness* of gear changes (she's quite scared) so this might be a good option.

ah yes, mothers...... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 pm

IMO its basically a red V-strom with a parallel twin that will probably have less torque

Has 25 more CCs but less compression, wheelbase 0.8 inches shorter, seat height 0.2 inches shorter, identical weight. Detuned Red V-strom IMO. Nice to have more options, possibly more reliable than the strom since the motor will probably be milder given the low compression. Too heavy for what I like to do though.
Back to top Go down
jgia

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 9:30 pm

I don't know that anything can be more reliable than a strom.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:23 am

I s'pose if you're not looking for much "Adventure" it'd work.

...otherwise it's a SuMo in drag at best.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:41 am

jgia wrote:
I don't know that anything can be more reliable than a strom.

I do, the Kawasaki Concourse zg1000 that was one long production run.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 am

oic0 wrote:
IMO its basically a red V-strom with a parallel twin that will probably have less torque

Has 25 more CCs but less compression, wheelbase 0.8 inches shorter, seat height 0.2 inches shorter, identical weight. Detuned Red V-strom IMO. Nice to have more options, possibly more reliable than the strom since the motor will probably be milder given the low compression. Too heavy for what I like to do though.

Given that the stroms are available used since they aren't a first model year they are also much cheaper. There is also an aftermarket for them which is great.

I need to ride the new honda before I can make a call on writing off the Honda. From the reviews I've read it sounds like it has significant bottom end torque, just doesn't rev past 6K.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm

The parallel twin should have low vibration ... no?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Dangit, I saw that title and thought Honda was coming out with something that could hold a candle to the WR250R. scratch

Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:02 am

This bike has been on the show room floor for a little while now and test rides have proven that it's a redress of the NT700. That bike, which my wife owned for a very short period of time, was sorely underpowered and had temperature problems. Shaft drive was nice and the overall feel was acceptable, but it was mechanically challenged and the motor was tuned for road riding. Zero torque below 6-7000 rpms. Comfortable is you're shorter but laboring any place below 45mph. We sold it before it had 2k miles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 am

Adventure bike? Is Honda seriously calling this thing an adventure bike? Adventures in boring, underwhelming 2-wheeled machines, perhaps.

I saw it at the Montreal motorcycle show last month. It looked interesting until I got up close. Overall fit and finish didn't impress, IMO. It's basically a scooter disguised as a motorcycle. As a commuter bike, anyone considering this bike should instead look at somthing like the Suzuki Bergman 650, which probably offers much better protection from rain, wind, cold weather.

On the plus side, if used for commuting, it does have a large storage compartment under the gas tank/seat area that could hold a large watermelon. Fuel mileage claims are impressive, but probably exaggerated a bit (as they all do).

However, I still gotta hand it to Honda for thinking outside the box. And, what do I know...these things could sell like hot cakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Honda Coming Out   New Honda Coming Out Empty

Back to top Go down

New Honda Coming Out
Page 1 of 1