Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike

Go down 
+10
IAmABug
RattTongue
xaman
saddletramp
mucker
texascycle
motokid
jason meacham
Berwyn Henderson
mordicai
14 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike Empty
PostSubject: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Motoworld, a powersports dealer in El Cahoun CA is advertising the Wr250r as an 85mpg motorcycle. When I e- mailed them and told them that was very inaccurate and deceptive, they e-mailed me back to go fxxk myself. Anyone looking for a bike in San Diego might what to streer clear of these guys. They also have some ocean front property for sale in Nevada.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

MAY BE TRUE, I HAVE TWO WR'S BUT HAVE NEVER TRIED TO SEE HOW MANY MILES PER GALLON I COULD GET WITH THERE STANDARDS. A CAR MILEAGE IS MEASUURED AT 28 MPH FOR CITY AND 48 MILES PER HOUR HIWAY. HAVE YOU MEASURED A STOCK WR250R AT THESE SPEEDS? I SURE HAVN'T !! BERWYN
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

different magazine articles I've read says the WR is rated at 70 mpg....I get about 60 if I'm not flogging it too hard,,,,,,,Is that place a Yamaha dealer??? if it is then we should all contact Yamaha to tell them that it's not good for business to lie to your customers....... dddog
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Xcel proved a wr250r/x could get over 100mpg.

So claiming 85mpg is not too much of a stretch.

I surely don't think it's a "real world, realistic" advertisement, but it's not an outright lie either.

For them to actually tell you to fuck off is quite rude and such responses should only be reserved for forum assholes like me.

Yamaha USA web site states 71mpg - so for a private shop to claim higher is pretty stupid.

Post their email address and I know I'd be glad to inform them that 55-65mpg is a much more reasonable claim.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Is it possible = yes
Is it fun = NO
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 pm

I believe that is what's rated from canadian sites.
Canadian regulations make that info, legal, and all but useless.
Actually U.S. claims are more accurate than canadian, on any given vehicle.
Regardless, you cannot achieve canadian claims...without goin downhill in a vacuum...so is my understanding.
Even u.s. claims seem...;optimistic, to say the least...but canada is nowhere near tellin the truth.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

mucker wrote:
I believe that is what's rated from canadian sites.
Canadian regulations make that info, legal, and all but useless.
Actually U.S. claims are more accurate than canadian, on any given vehicle.
Regardless, you cannot achieve canadian claims...without goin downhill in a vacuum...so is my understanding.
Even u.s. claims seem...;optimistic, to say the least...but canada is nowhere near tellin the truth.

Sorry man.... Xcel got 102.7 mpg

click me <--- clicky

I don't know how....and I can't ever get over 60mpg myself....but Xcel proved it can be done.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:28 pm

It could be that the dealer had gotten his info from Yamaha Canada which states 85 miles per Imperial gallon which equates to 70.78 miles per US gallon.

Does not excuse the rude treatment to the OP though!!
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I have personally seen 70+ on smooth rides, but I am sure that if the wind were neutral and I could maintain a flat road speed of around 55mph, it would get somewhere near there. Now, if you add starts, stops, hills, wind, and weight, I think it would go down pretty quick.

My average over 5k miles is around 60mpg. But I do not ride slow and have lots of stop and go.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Sounds like excel performed an experiement, with some skill.

Hypermiling, is a fad/skill in itself. If you don't know the fine details of operating your vehicle and the terrain...you aint a hyper-miler.

If one could cover ground, as efficiently as possible, with the best available strategy, at the lowest possible rev...assuming your vehicle was tuned to achieve this. You would get the best mileage possible.

If you aren't performing an experiment, or extreme behaviour...with skill...

Then I would guess all would get between 40 and 50+ mpg
Anyone less is a freak or has mechanical issues...anyone more, is takin it very easy.
Trail or street.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Sometimes I get 85 miles per tank Very happy
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Were I'm at with it is this. I ride and x. 45 to 50 mpg is what I get. Could I get more, sure. But it's not the way I ride. I know there are people on this site that get 70. But when I see a Yamaha dealer advertise 85mpg I just don't what some poor guy buying that bike and believing that bull shit. Why a dealer would lie like that I don't know. All your going to do is piss off the guy who buys that bike when he doesn't get close to that kind of milege. This is a BIG dealership and should have a better business model. It's bad for the sport and bad for the bike. If you want to wrie them it's Motoworld in El Cajon CA.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:19 am

Well they are obviously a bad dealer not only because of the claim but almost more so for their response to the original OP. I mean seriously in the age of the Internet and forums were people can research and post damning email for everyone to see... Too me its pretty stupid of them to make false claims since Yamaha explicitly states the rated mpg (70mpg) on their web site. If I was shopping for a bike and saw a dealer was making a false claim that could EASILY be verified with a couple of mouse clicks I would automatically assume the dealer was dishonest and was fishing for an idiot to screw over and I would steer clear.

Personally I researched about 10 different bikes for about three weeks before settling on the WRR. I bought mine used from a dealer and I guarantee you I knew more about the bike than dealer when I walked in. In some ways if someone doesn't know some of the basic info about a bike before they buy it and believe something that a dealer tells them, they almost deserve to get screwed over.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am

mordicai wrote:
Were I'm at with it is this. I ride and x. 45 to 50 mpg is what I get. Could I get more, sure. But it's not the way I ride. I know there are people on this site that get 70. But when I see a Yamaha dealer advertise 85mpg I just don't what some poor guy buying that bike and believing that bull shit. Why a dealer would lie like that I don't know. All your going to do is piss off the guy who buys that bike when he doesn't get close to that kind of milege. This is a BIG dealership and should have a better business model. It's bad for the sport and bad for the bike. If you want to wrie them it's Motoworld in El Cajon CA.

Can you link us to the ad?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 2:50 pm

85mph means that you could go 170miles on a tank because its a 2.1gal tank. Not a chance. My $0.02. Even if you stuck to the manuals shift points and only rode on the highway(downhill of course) with no wind, passing, stopping, or with a rider on the bike do I think that would happen.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm

They got a 3350lb 300hp V-6 Mustang to get 48.5mpg by driving it at 44mph without any stops. Our bikes would probably do 120mpg+ doing the same but at about 35mph.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 pm

I read an article one time last year on Hypermilers. In the end I think I will just pay my .03 per mile to NOT have to drive a constant 42.3 mph, turn off the ignition and coast if I see a red light 3 miles away, only touch the brake pedal once I reach my destination, etc.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: The Ad Has Been Changed   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 pm

You got to love the power of the internet. The original Ad ran on Craigslist ( san diego/motorcycles for sale) by Motoworld an El Cajon CA powersports shop and read " 2012 Yamaha Wr250....85MPG". After a few realy sick and nasty e-mails from them in response to my e-mail informing them that was inaccurate, I decided to post it here and on Adventure Rider. Well I just checked Craigslist, motorcycles for sale in San Diego ." Yamaha wr250r"and they have deleated the 85 MPG ad and replaced it with the largest and longest ad I have ever seen on Craiglist. Check it out. Looks like they overreacted a bit.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Bwahahaha! I just Googled it. The Craigslist ad now says 71MPG but the Google search result still showed this;

"NEW 2012 YAMAHA WR250R (85 MPG) - Craigslist
sandiego.craigslist.org › ... "

It says to call Justin. So... I'll call him an idiot.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm

You're right it looks like they went & copied the Yamaha WR brochure & pasted it to the ad to avoid any more claims to false advertising. I see the error they made on the first ad & they did take the 85mpg from the IMP gallons rating & not the US gallons rating. I do agree with the other members about the response to the initial Email being very rude & unprofessional. They should have researched their info more thoroughly. I wouldn't buy from them if I had a choice.
Back to top Go down
albrecht194

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I dont know how many of you would be interested but i remember seeing a mythbusters episode awhile back that used the WRR for a hypermiling or something type episode
some pictures
http://www.examiner.com/cable-tv-in-national/pictures-from-mythbusters-picture-1#slide=38064251
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike   WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R Advertised as 85mpg bike
Page 1 of 1