Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Higher Compression?

Go down 
+2
bigg
oic0
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Higher Compression?  Empty
PostSubject: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 5:52 pm

This may not have come up because I doubt many people have had the need to rebuild yet, but has anyone put in just a higher compression piston to see what the gains are? considering the bike doesn't ping even on 87, I'm sure we could run something like 13:1 instead of 11.8:1. I wonder how much of the gain from the big bore kits is from the compression alone.

Would a 77mm R1 piston fit?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 6:06 pm

To my knowledge R1 models from 2004 to 2008 have the same bore and stroke (77.0 x 53.6 mm) as the WR with a compression of 12.4:1

So it would theoretically "fit". Now if it actually works, who knows.... dunno

It sure would be interesting and a great project :hmmm:

Maybe someone knows more... I'll be keeping an eye on this wink
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Thinner head gasket or shave the head?
Back to top Go down
fla2wnc

fla2wnc

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 pm

somebody should be brave and try it out for the rest of us amazon
my buddy runs busa pistons in his sv thumb
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:26 pm

See if it were a motor that gets torn down all the time, Id be all for it. As is, I feel the need to be super careful and not mess up its super reliability on a hunch. If it worked though, you could buy an aftermarket R1 piston and jump up to like 13.5:1 compression (if you live in a 93 octane area) for ~$130. More power across the board Very happy Especially low end and midrange.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Only question really is if the cylinder can handle the extra compression dunno

is it build tough enough? Although since it's doing fine for some people with turbos I don't think there should be a problem...

If the bike keeps going like it has, I might give this a try in 15 years or so when the engine needs a rebuild poser2

Gotta love the crazy reliability dutch
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 5:55 pm

The R-1 piston will fit, but the valve releafs are not the same.
J.E. makes a 13:1, off the shelf for the WR250R, you can buy. $190.00.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:58 am

By my math 13:1 would get us about 1.2 - 1.4 hp. Dont think id bother for less than 2hp which is about what 13.5:1 would give. Actually the more i think about the numbers the more fruitless it seems lol.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Sounds like a lot of work for the gain & if it compromises the reliability of the WR then it becomes a hassle when repair time rolls around too soon. I think doing the free airbox mods etc., would be more bang for no bucks. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Higher Compression?    Higher Compression?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Higher Compression?
Page 1 of 1