Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)

Go down 
+6
Arkmage
oic0
team510
skierd
josh
Mach828
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mach828

Mach828

Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) Empty
PostSubject: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm considering taking my WRX on a highway trip. Total trip there and back will be 500 miles.

I ordered a 14T front sprocket to lower the rpms a little on the freeway, as I'm running a 12T front right now, which is good for city, but even 65mph isn't practical for more than a few miles.

Think it will be okay for this long of a trip?
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am

Mach828 wrote:
I'm considering taking my WRX on a highway trip. Total trip there and back will be 500 miles.

I ordered a 14T front sprocket to lower the rpms a little on the freeway, as I'm running a 12T front right now, which is good for city, but even 65mph isn't practical for more than a few miles.

Think it will be okay for this long of a trip?

Totally capable. Ran mine out to Eastern Washington and back. Outstanding all around. Nice to have the safari tank, comfort seat. Mechanically in the sweet spot and a pleasure to ride.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 am

Here are three of my long rides:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500618

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661723

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767414

Each was around 6600 miles, and ranged from 22-30 days. My WRR currently has just under 39,000 miles on it, runs like a champ, and has been my only transportation since 2009. In other words, it'll be fine. Swap back to a 13T if you want a little more cruising comfort, but it'll still run fine.
Back to top Go down
team510

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:19 am

i would only complain about the gas tank( i will be getting a ims 3gal) and my fat arsh hurts on long runs....
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Youll be fine so long as it isnt a windy day.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Call your bank before you leave. Mine shut down my debit card because of number of under $10 gas stops in a day. It's apparently suspicious behavior.
Back to top Go down
bambo

bambo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Inconsistent transaction history, System sees it as possible suspect...
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I Recently rode mine 500+ in a single day (seat concepts seat and IMS 3.1 made a big difference) and it handled it surprisingly well.

I'd definitely change the gearing if I were you, it'll be so much smoother...
Back to top Go down
Mach828

Mach828

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:07 am

Awesome. Thank you for your help everyone!

I think I will go ahead and do it then.

Back to top Go down
Mach828

Mach828

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:38 am

Just wanted to say the 14T front sprocket really lowered the rpms on the highway. It feels like I added another gear to the bike.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:53 am

what rear sprocket are you running and can you still maintain 70 mph?

with the stock 13/42 I could barely hold 70mph with any head wind.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

I went from the factory 13/42 to a 14/49 set-up, hoping to find a little more grunt. It worked, and I loved it around town, but decided I didn't like it on the highway. It seemed like it was real happy at 65 (actual) and could easily pull to 80, but was too vibey even at 70 for sustained highway (by sustained I mean for anything more than 30 miles, as I routinely run 50-100 highway miles). My throttle hand was half numb for days after long highway stretches.

I recently changed to 14/46, essentially stock. I miss the pep in lower gears, but I'm back able to cruise at 75 without strain.

The speed limits around here are all 65-75 mph, so I need to be able to flow with traffic. When I add a large street bike to my stable, I'll likely drop the WR back down for the fun factor.

I've got a small windscreen, and the typical performance mods, but holding 75 with stock gearing isn't a challenge at all, even with headwinds. Of course, I do have to drop to 5th when on hills and into wind, but with the taller gearing I can catch up on the downhill side :)
Back to top Go down
matt675

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:37 am

I am about to take a 650 mile trip, From Oklahoma city to Denver Co. Planning to stay off the main Interstate (might be kind of boring) and take the back road highways. Hope it will be a fun adventure.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptySun May 13, 2012 10:27 am

Not really a long highway trip, but I did 250 miles Friday, and 230 miles yesterday on SUPPERB back roads in NC and TN.

My Bridgestone BT023 rear tire was great on these *tight* twisty roads. Even had the edges balled up from running The Snake (# 421 N West of Mountain City, TN.) I *love* my WRX in this area. thumb
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptySun May 13, 2012 10:42 am

Did running a 14T front sprocket have impact on odometer or speedometer? Can stock chain be uses?
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I had to get a new chain...

It did change the readings, but I don't recall the details, but the speedo was close to 10%!off at stock gearing with Distanzia rear tire, then 13-14% off with 14/49 and brand new Shinko 705 rear, now around 7% off with 14/46 and fairly new Shinko 705 rear.

I don't know about the odometer, but I need to figure it out now that I'm content with the 14/46 gearing.

We did another 200 mile ride yesterday, most of which was at the 65-70 mph mark, so highway gearing is best for me right now.
Back to top Go down
Mach828

Mach828

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Well I did the trip. Put about 500 highway miles on it this past weekend. It did awesome. I cruised at about 70mph on the freeway the whole time. I went faster at times, but I wasn't sure how it would handle the higher rpms and didn't want to overheat it or overwork it.

I used the stock chain with the 14t front sprocket. Was an easy fit. Stock rear sprocket.

I didn't notice any vibration or anything. I averaged about 65 miles per gallon on the trip. Hit quite a bit of wind, but I just tucked down a bit and it could maintain the speed easily uphill into a headwind.

I also have a K&N air filter, FMF programmer, cut the airbox, and have a 250F header and muffler. So maybe the extra power helped out a bit. I took it up to about 90 on a downhill and it was still pulling fairly well, I was just a little nervous about going that fast with wind. Would be interesting to know what it can top out at with this gearing.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm

That's great that you are pleased. I'm a bit surprised that your gearing worked well for you, I would have guessed it too tall.

I'm continually amazed at the versatility of these little bikes.

Good ride report, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)   Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles) Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone had the WRX on a long highway trip (200+ miles)
Page 1 of 1