Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250x highway / long distance riding?

Go down 
+2
mattf
bren5279
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bren5279

WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? Empty
PostSubject: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi all, Ive recently been thinking of getting a 250x (to replace my street bike that I sold) and I like everything about it (except the power but I can get over that) but there is one thing that concerns me, how bad on the bike would say a 150 mile trip at about 75mph be?

I plan on using it to go to work and back (3 miles of highway at 70 then backroads), BUT I need to be able to drive it up to my college (senior at VT) and Im 150 miles away.

How bad would a 150 mile 75mph trip on the highway be for it?
Is there anything you can do to make it more suitable for highway trips? like maybe bigger F sprocket?

Also one random side question: how does carying a passenger on a wr250x compare to say an r6? or is it just really not a good idea?

Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

people have ridden a lot further than that on these bikes. you could put a larger front sprocket on if you felt it was wanted but it wouldn't really be needed since the way these come geared.

I have no experience with passengers.
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:02 pm

How long till the engines go on them?

Like I know for street bikes 20k is the equivelant of 100k for a car.... I assume for these its more toward 10k or 8k????
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Dude...read around the forum please.

First valve check isn't until well past 20,000 miles.

A member here named skierd has put almost 20,000 or two different wr's now.

His first one was stolen.

Two-up is fine. Unless you both weigh over 250 pounds each.....

150 miles in one day is nothing. You will need at least one gas stop with stock tank though.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Awesome thanks!!
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Closer to 35000 miles actually, first one had 18k current 16k. I commute 20-30 miles daily on highways mostly with no problems. 150 miles is usually my pre lunch goal when traveling. Did about 60 miles 2up today with a friend who weighs 140, she's probably ridden close to 1000 miles with me and she's usually comfortable. Likes water crossings more than I do lol. She goes to wvu which is about 200 miles door to door, all interstate., very comfy.

Power mods will make it happier at higher speeds on the slab. Pipe programmer and airbox
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Many times 300 miles a day but more at 65 or 70 mph. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

skierd wrote:
Closer to 35000 miles actually, first one had 18k current 16k. I commute 20-30 miles daily on highways mostly with no problems. 150 miles is usually my pre lunch goal when traveling. Did about 60 miles 2up today with a friend who weighs 140, she's probably ridden close to 1000 miles with me and she's usually comfortable. Likes water crossings more than I do lol. She goes to wvu which is about 200 miles door to door, all interstate., very comfy.

Power mods will make it happier at higher speeds on the slab. Pipe programmer and airbox

lol, i weigh 170 and my gf weighs 100 and my wr was struggling two up.

i must be doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Yeah I was gona say...... Ive had a few yz250f's n had a girl on the back offroad but it was no speed demon....
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 am

Must be.

I haven't ridden to WVU with her on the back lol, that would suck because it forces me forward onto the skinny part of the seat. Otherwise, yeah the bike is slower and heavier to lean but you adjust for it. I definitely wouldn't say it was 'struggling'. And even if it was, having a skinny 5'10" blond holding on tight is worth it. Very happy
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 am

hahah true. I was actually considering the turbo if I managed to get some cash for it.... who knows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250x highway / long distance riding?   WR250x  highway / long distance  riding? Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250x highway / long distance riding?
Page 1 of 1