Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My rectangular tool tube

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
skidmarx

skidmarx

My rectangular tool tube Empty
PostSubject: My rectangular tool tube   My rectangular tool tube EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Finally got around to making my tool tube.
My rectangular tool tube 2012-05-08_12-15-09_872

My rectangular tool tube 2012-05-08_12-15-31_556

It actually worked out better than I expected and cost me nothing since I found everything laying around.

I went with a rectangular welding rod tube for a few reasons.
1. Narrower profile.
2. I had 5 of them and only 1 round one. Lot's of chances to get it right.
3. Easier to bolt up to the flat support bar.

The rectangular Aluminium tube has enough give to it that it bowed around the stock tool carrier bracket the tiny bit it needed to. this caused the top of the tool tube to pull away from the Al tube 1/16" or so. Turns out I needed the clearance to get the top on and off anyway.
The bottom bolt goes all the way through the tube and has a bushing on the inside to keep the tube from getting crushed when tightening the bolt.
There is an inch or so of foam in the bottom of the tube so the through bolt is covered up to prevent stuff hooking on it.
The top of the tube is bolted on the inside with a big washer to prevent pull through.

As I was looking for the bolts, I found a box of retaining pins that were attached t a short cable and bracket. The pin ended up being the perfect length to go through the top and one side of the Al tube. It's the kind with a small spring loaded ball bearing in it so it stays put.

The only problem with the whole setup is that I can't fit my hand in in it. My stock tool kit fits perfectly, but I can't get it out easily without some pliers. Easy fix. I just put the pliers in the tube.

I also have my tire irons, small ratchet with 8mm & 10mm socket, and an allen wrench. I still have some room so I think I can fit my bead buddy in there too if I try hard enough.

The top also has some foam in it to help keep stuff from rattling around.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: My rectangular tool tube   My rectangular tool tube EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

Very nice, I like it!
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: My rectangular tool tube   My rectangular tool tube EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

Nice job skidmarx. Plus it looks like it wont fall off. I've had to go looking for mine a couple of times in the bush.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: My rectangular tool tube   My rectangular tool tube EmptySat May 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I like it! I want to make a tool tube but haven't decided on how I want to do it yet. I want it to be locking and at least semi water tight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My rectangular tool tube   My rectangular tool tube Empty

Back to top Go down

My rectangular tool tube
Page 1 of 1