Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Caliper Paint

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 am

Has anyone painted their brake caliper's? Any pics?
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Welp, im gonna give it a try! wink
Caliper Paint 2012-110
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 11:56 pm

baldy
Will post pics tomorrow and review of the paint after i see them in daylight. So far not happy with the results but my results can be avoided. hide
dutch
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Gonna put review from my PC then post the pics from my phone.
So i got a wild hair up my ass and decided I wanted to paint the calipers and master cylinder black. Went to the local hardware shop and bought some Duplicolor Caliper paint. It was 19.99 budah Wasn’t to thrilled about that b/c I knew I would only use a little out of the can provided. Contents included - 1 spray can of Caliper cleaner (brake cleaner), 8 oz can of ceramic paint, paint brush, stir stick, and 3/4 masking tape (20 ft). Says it will paint four calipers (car/truck) but will probably paint 8-10 WRR/X's!

Pulled the bike in the living room (wifey was working) and pulled the front caliper off the disc. I did not remove the brake lines. Masked everything off then went to painting. Was very impressed with how the paint covered!! Started from the gas side of the caliper and worked my way to the clutch side. Went on nice and even. 1st coat was a success!!! Looked fantastic. Now here’s where I fucked it up. It said to wait about 25 min between coats...which I did. Paint was dry to the touch. What happened in that time frame was the ceramic paint on the brush itself. This is some serious ass paint and a cheap ass brush. dddog Bristles keep coming off and going onto the paint on the second coat. The bristles also were a lot harder than the first go round and on the clutch side of the caliper - the side you freakin see - put bad gouges in the paint and was no longer smooth. Now I’m pissed. Got another beer and game planned for the rear caliper.

I didn’t have any paint thinner to clean the brush nor did I have any other brushes that i could think of. So i did what any other guy would do and went in the wife’s makeup bag and got some nail polish remover. Negative! Didn’t do a freaking thing! That paint was on there! Nail polish remover was just as clear (or pinkish) as before I dropped the brush in.

Plan B - swiped one of my 6yr old daughter’s paint brushes from her room while she was sleeping. Instantly I realized how cheap that piece of crap brush they included was when that Crayola, or whatever brush it was, felt like something Michelangelo used!!!! So I masked of the back and went to town. The back I did not remove just painted right on the bike. Got mostly covered too except for the bottom which you will never see anyway. Did one coat and by the end the brush was starting to get stiff but it looked good. One coat is all it took on the back. If had another brush I would have put a 2nd coat on but didn’t want to fuck up the back to.

As mentioned above I also wanted to paint the rear master cylinder but never got to it. Hell, I got enough paint to black out a lot of the bike if I wanted! One day I will....

So in closing, If you are considering doing this really the only thing I would recommend is when you buy the paint also invest in some quality paint brushes!!! The more the better cuz that paint will stiffen up the brushes pretty quickly. The front caliper you can paint the whole damn thing, the rear the only part you'll miss is on the bottom which as I said...you can’t see anyway.

Box said for addt coats, wait 5 days after initial painting. At some point am going to try and wet sand the clutch face of the caliper and apply another coat to smooth it out. Then again....I’ll probably just leave it! hide

Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Some pics
Caliper Paint 2012-111
Caliper Paint 2012-112

Caliper Paint 2012-113
puke
Caliper Paint 2012-114

Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Shitty ass paint brush
Caliper Paint 2012-115
Looks good from afar
Caliper Paint 2012-116
Need to paint the guard or just remove it
Caliper Paint 2012-117
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 pm

I took the guard off to snap a pic. My rims are black but thought this was a cool ass pic!
Caliper Paint 2012-118

Caliper Paint 2012-119
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

I used that same kit for my car, with almost the same results as you! The brush was crap and left bristles in the paint, which I had to pick out with my fingers. The paint itself is good stuff (still looks like new on my car after 7 years) just the other crap in the kit is not very good.

Click for bigger:
Caliper Paint 475880160KCbVhv_th
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Caliper Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caliper Paint   Caliper Paint Empty

Back to top Go down

Caliper Paint
Page 1 of 1