Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket Empty
PostSubject: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Hey guys, I put an Edge tail light on my WRR about a year ago and I keep on breaking license plates with it. Pretty much when the bike falls, which it does quite often, the license plate gets cracked and bends and eventually breaks and falls off.

The big problem is the plate mounts directly to the metal bracket so there is absolutely no give which bends the plate. Do any of you guys have the same issue? If so is there a universal plastic plate holder?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 12:41 am

That must be why my plate is cracked...
scratch
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 am

pbnut wrote:
That must be why my plate is cracked...
scratch

Most likely, I know some of the Husky's have basically a plastic plate holder, it has 4 bolt holes for the plate and then an additional two at the top. That way it prevents the plate from being mounted directly to the frame so you don;t have this issue.

It's verry annoying because every time it happens it's a 2+ hour trip to the good old NJ DMV.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm

I have the Edge but opted to reuse my homemade tidy option that i had prior to the Edge. I bought a universal kit from Cycle Gear and only used one peice out of it. Heres a couple of pics.
Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket 2012-051
Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket 2012-053
Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket 2012-054

The license plate can be moved back and forth. Not sure it will solve your problem but might be better than a fixed mounted plate. If off roading you , although i havent tried, could prob fold it up under the fender. I'll check later and take a pic.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm

So i checked and i can fold it up under the tail if off roading or doing anything hooligan related.
Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket 2012-055
Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket 2012-056
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Swagger wrote:
So i checked and i can fold it up under the tail if off roading or doing anything hooligan related.

I like it, I might have to give that a shot. Being able to fold up the plate really puts it out of harm's way. I'm only afraid I won't remember to put it back down when I hit the road.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Also, do you have a link on Cycle Gear?

The only one I could find was this one: http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/License_Plate_Bracket_with_Mount/web1006871
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 am

I've had some luck using bolts with extra large allen heads that distribute the torque across a larger area. In addition, I am using some o-ring gaskets that match in diameter for some cushioning. After about 3 broken plates, I'm hoping this one holds up for a while.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 pm

liftdt4r wrote:
Also, do you have a link on Cycle Gear?

The only one I could find was this one: http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/License_Plate_Bracket_with_Mount/web1006871

i looked on the site and that was the only one i could find.. dunno
I was in the store a few days ago and thought i saw it. If you have one local you might want to give them a call.

-

So i called my local Cycle Gear and they said they had one like mine left. He said the SKU # is 638320. Now when i checked the site, that sku pulls the same one as the link you posted above... dunno If you're going to do it, to confirm it was the right one, i would call them and see if they could email a pic of the one they have in the store before i'd pull the trigger. I also checked Amazon, Ebay, and any other site i could think of and i cant find the one i bought anywhere. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket   Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket Empty

Back to top Go down

Edge Tail Light License Plate Bracket
Page 1 of 1