Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????

Go down 
+13
skybo1
34wrc
sswrx
No~One
Pancho
little squirt
MNMike
mwakey
craigq
dirtytrixx400
Skip
SheWolf
motokid
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rsteiger

rsteiger

Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 pm

TioJose wrote:
Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

That is true for a 3 way catalytic converter. But I am not clear if the WRR uses a 3 way or 2 way cat.

Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 2:25 pm

rsteiger wrote:
TioJose wrote:
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O.

That is true for a 3 way catalytic converter. But I am not clear if the WRR uses a 3 way or 2 way cat.

Since 1981, "three-way" (oxidation-reduction) catalytic converters have been used in vehicle emission control systems in the United States and Canada; many other countries have also adopted stringent vehicle emission regulations that in effect require three-way converters on gasoline-powered vehicles. The reduction and oxidation catalysts are typically contained in a common housing; however, in some instances, they may be housed separately. A three-way catalytic converter has three simultaneous tasks:

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 2:57 pm

TioJose wrote:
rsteiger wrote:
TioJose wrote:

Since 1981, "three-way" (oxidation-reduction) catalytic converters have been used in vehicle emission control systems in the United States and Canada; many other countries have also adopted stringent vehicle emission regulations that in effect require three-way converters on gasoline-powered vehicles. The reduction and oxidation catalysts are typically contained in a common housing; however, in some instances, they may be housed separately. A three-way catalytic converter has three simultaneous tasks:

Not necessarily true.

There are some engines that still use two way cats. Just about all automotive engines use three way cats now but motorcycles have a bit of a unique application.

In the case of a the WRR there is no feedback loop for the ECU which it is typically required for a 3way cat system. The fact there is air injection (AIS) and no feedback system indicates that the catalytic converter on the WRR may be a 2way converter.
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: oxy   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 2:10 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f35/19/45/40/18/ox10.jpg will show you the O2 sensor and where it sits on mine

For your info only the Russian Lada petrols in the beginning had 2 way cat's thats decenia ago.
You could sense them a mile away, smelling like a factory of rotten eggs.

Also my CRF250L shows the O2 sensor but it sticks in the exhaust port of the cylinder head
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 10:01 am

TioJose wrote:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f35/19/45/40/18/ox10.jpg will show you the O2 sensor and where it sits on mine

For your info only the Russian Lada petrols in the beginning had 2 way cat's thats decenia ago.
You could sense them a mile away, smelling like a factory of rotten eggs.

Also my CRF250L shows the O2 sensor but it sticks in the exhaust port of the cylinder head

Ah yeah we don't have those on the US models. I suspect our emissions regs were a bit different (less stringent) when the bike was developed.
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: idiot   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 pm

In general i think putting all this crap on, no milage, low power, leisure toys is absolute idiot.

We are still on coal and oil because its cheap.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2016 12:03 pm

TioJose wrote:
In general i think putting all this crap on, no milage, low power, leisure toys is absolute idiot.

We are still on coal and oil because its cheap.

You are preaching to the choir on that!
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am

I have the flapper mod, and took my AIS off as the hose was getting hit by sticks and scrub, and allowing mucho dirt into the clean air side of the airbox.

I was astounded at the amount of dirt in the AIS system. It was foul.

So I took the engine breather out of the airbox too, and now it drools on top of the EXUP. Sealed both holes in the box.

Result: much less dirt going into the engine.

So far the cat converter has survived, though it's stressed from all the slow running, thus low muffler temps.

If I get another WRR, same mods - instantly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????   Charcoal Can Removal - Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever???? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can AIS Removal Be A Bad Idea??? Ever????
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2