Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch ingage point?

Go down 
+4
kjharn
dmmcd
zestymac
japako
8 posters
AuthorMessage
japako

japako

Clutch ingage point? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 pm

I have a new to me wrr and have a question on the clutch. I have adjusted the lever to the specs in the manual and the clutch engages almost at the end of lever travel. Is this normal for this bike?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Unfortunately, yes. Feels weird, but totally normal... dddog
Back to top Go down
japako

japako

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks,, yep it does feel weird to say the least. In fact I was going to pull the clutch and check it out.
I'll just have to get used to it and won't throw her out of bed for eating crackers..lol
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:43 am

I noticed this same thing on my new-to-me WRx. It takes some getting used to, but the clutch has a very narrow engagement zone compared to my last bikes.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I was shopping for EBC clutch kits before the folks here and on the ADV Rider WR mega thread convinced me it was normal...
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Should be able to adjust it more than that. I can adjust mine to engage at the end of the lever reach, or at the handlebars. Personally I like it at the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
japako

japako

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

kjharn wrote:
Should be able to adjust it more than that. I can adjust mine to engage at the end of the lever reach, or at the handlebars. Personally I like it at the handlebars.

Boy I'd sure like to know how you do that.. Got any tips??
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Me too. Without taking the clutch cover off...
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Should be able to adjust right at the lever. Pull back dust cover, unjam jam nut, then
turn in the cable which will give more freeplay in lever and clutch will engage later. Back
out cable, less freeplay, clutch engages sooner. Find the location you like, tighten jam
nut, slide dust cover back.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

"Should" seems to be the key word here.
Been there done that at both the lever and the other end of the cable. No go for me... I'm not a noob wrench either.
On my FZR 400 you could adjust the length of the pushrod which changed the engagment point. That pushrod was behind the clutch cover...
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Righteousstuntmetal Clutch Lever   Clutch ingage point? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

My '10 bike had about 1500 miles on it and the one thing I hated was the clutch engagement.
My friends '08 was/is worse.
That said, I'm use to bikes with a hydraulic clutch.

I can't stress enough how much the Righteousstuntmetal Clutch Lever helped.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7257-righteousstuntmetal-clutch-lever

Smoothed everything out right out.
It's a bit price for one small part, but, if adjustment, cable lubing, and an oil change doesn't help, dare I say, highly recommended.

Tell him Rapid sent ya! thumb

Back to top Go down
japako

japako

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
My '10 bike had about 1500 miles on it and the one thing I hated was the clutch engagement.
My friends '08 was/is worse.
That said, I'm use to bikes with a hydraulic clutch.

I can't stress enough how much the Righteousstuntmetal Clutch Lever helped.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7257-righteousstuntmetal-clutch-lever

Smoothed everything out right out.
It's a bit price for one small part, but, if adjustment, cable lubing, and an oil change doesn't help, dare I say, highly recommended.

Tell him Rapid sent ya! thumb

Thanks for that review. Do you have a link?
It sounds like a nice piece of kit.
I really have not noticed any jerkyness but the release point is not something I like. I'll get use to it, but I still won't like it. GAHHHH

It is just like any other bike. There are things you really like and things you don't.. lol
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 pm

...simle.... http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/ :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
mudmojo

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm a noob rider and trying to ride with a consistent technique of two fingering (with index and middle fingers) the clutch lever and front brake lever. Problem is, with the long stock clutch lever and the engagement point being deep into the travel, I find that I have to semi-crush my ring finger and pinky to shift smoothly (ie. for the clutch to be fully disengaged). Maybe 2 finger shorty levers or a thick grip donut to force my hands away from the forks would work. Of course, if I could adjust the engagement point higher up in the travel, then this would be a moot point but, well, guess that's wishful thinking at this point.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

The Righteous levers come in two lengths, two finger and a longer one which I have.
The key to these isn't the length, it's the 'pitch' of the cable, where the cable barrel is located, give an easier pull.
I think this would be your answer.
Back to top Go down
mudmojo

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 am

OK never mind. I just moved the levers inwards by 10mm and now everything is cool. Rocking the stock bars here so might have to revisit that lever inward strategy when and if I have a handlebar mounted GPS and need straight'ish bar real estate.
Back to top Go down
airfruit

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:20 am

Are you guys talking about the "width" of the engagement zone? or where it engages in the travel? The WR has a very narrow engagement zone. I actually love it cuz I come from mototrials background. Very use to snappy clutch.
The other is where it engages in the travel. That you can adjust to where ever you'd like. I use one to two fingers for clutching and my clutch engages few mm out after leaving my ring finger knuckle. If you want the clutch to engage further out then you just "screw out" the cable adjuster making the effective cable housing longer. If you want it closer then you screw it in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch ingage point?   Clutch ingage point? Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch ingage point?
Page 1 of 1