Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do it yourself accessories.

Go down 
+3
mucker
motokid
Prairieparson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairieparson

Do it yourself accessories. Empty
PostSubject: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky. (Actually, I'll admit I am), but I'm getting a little tired of paying these high prices on pretty simple modifications to motorcycles. I was looking at a crash plate for the bike, and I got a little surprised at $200 for a bent piece of steel and a few bolts. Anyone made your own??? Any reason why you shouldn't.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Some have.

Do you have a welder?
A way to bend aluminum/steel?

Some have used an old cutting board. Heated it and bent it to fit.

Get creative. Then post pictures. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:44 pm

I saw guy use an old licence plate...I think the bolt holes line up and everything...?
With the painted side in, you could barely tell it was a quick fix.
Not a full coverage plate but better than nothing.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 pm

here's one <-- clicky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Or just be patient and look for used stuff. I bought a GYTR rear rack and a Flatlands skidplate together, $100 total. The rack needed bolts and spray paint, the skidplate was perfect.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 pm

jon_l wrote:
Or just be patient and look for used stuff. I bought a GYTR rear rack and a Flatlands skidplate together, $100 total. The rack needed bolts and spray paint, the skidplate was perfect.

Now that you mention it....I bought my bike from the classifieds...as well as my few main accessories...so far, I have made out well thumb
I bought my first gps that way today, last model garmin, at a bargain...lucked out with a local buy.

It pays to do your homework, with patience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 am

When I first bought my DR650, I needed a skid plate in a hurry. Ordering one was going to take a week or more, so I just used the first thing that came to mind. I ended up using it for about 2 years before I laid down real cash for a real guard. Worked well enough, and cost was about the same as a six-pack. And, I had free parking everywhere I went poser2

Do it yourself accessories. Ff5b2297

Do it yourself accessories. 5e527529
Back to top Go down
dct3416

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

MotoJunkie wrote:
When I first bought my DR650, I needed a skid plate in a hurry. Ordering one was going to take a week or more, so I just used the first thing that came to mind. I ended up using it for about 2 years before I laid down real cash for a real guard. Worked well enough, and cost was about the same as a six-pack. And, I had free parking everywhere I went poser2

Do it yourself accessories. Ff5b2297

Do it yourself accessories. 5e527529

Now that's just hilarious! poser2
Back to top Go down
brendo

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

jon_l wrote:

honestly, this. every accessory i've got for my bike since the time of purchase, i've bought from guys on here (other than barend mirrors). got a brand new oem fender still in packaging w/ a rear rack in excellent shape, for like $95 shipped. also purchased a skidplate for $80 from someone on here.. it was beat up but i sandblasted it and powder coated it a textured black. can barely even tell it's used (aside from some scrapes that didn't come out with the sandblaster, didn't want to risk warping it).

also in the process of picking up an fmf pp off a guy for $100.. patience my friend.. thumb
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Limited volume is what ends up making these things so expensive. Not enough volume and proffit to afford tooling up to make them fast and efficient, so they make them low volume, slow, and expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do it yourself accessories.   Do it yourself accessories. Empty

Back to top Go down

Do it yourself accessories.
Page 1 of 1