Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Back Pain?

Go down 
+3
mucker
GusinCA
Prairieparson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairieparson

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 am

I have a problem that I'd like some advice on. Now, I do not have back problems and never have. I've ridden all day on an Honda ST1300 and a VSTrom, and had no problems. But I've found that I have back problems riding the WRR after about an hour or more. My guess is that there are three potential causes.

1. No windshield, so I am struggling to stay upright, fighting the wind, putting preasure on my back.
2. Riding position. To me this makes no sense, but it could be. I figure the VStrom has a very similar riding position, and as I've said, I've gone over 600 miles in one day with no problem.
3. I'm too old, and the suspension and the lightness of the bike is causing more stress on my back than I'm used to.

If you've had a similar problem, I'd appreciate some help.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 pm

I also had back surgery, but I will tell you that an aftermarket seat is probably the best solution. Once I got my Corbin seat it's become much easier to get comfortable...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 am

Almost every time I've heard of someone getting a new bike, even one they love...there seems to be an adjustment period, that includes an ache from somewhere. Eventually the body catches up to the minor stuff.
Tension in your body itself can be the source of many aches...especially doing something new or different.
Improper technique and uncontrolled tension can cause injury in a guitar player...just awkward tension.
Even noise can cause tension.
If you could focus on relaxing and proper technique, while your body catches up to the new routine...it shouldnt take longer than a good workout recovery to start adapting.
Of course, a good coach can speed that process like no other option.

Hope that helps...its no fun being in pain.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 am

I agree, the more you use it the better it gets.

That said, an ST1300 and Vstrom are VASTLY different machines as far as rider comfort go than a WRR. A lot of it depends on what you're doing as well, is it hard off roading and single track or just lazy cruising on streets and flat fire roads? In any event, I've never had a more comfortable and more compliant (suspension) motorcycle than the WRR...
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was surprised with the back pain cause its an upright seating position, it is a very compliant suspension and all I'm riding is gravel roads and city streets right now. I did do some riding though at higher speeds when I got the back pain, so I was thinking that maybe it was from using my back muscles to fight the wind. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a windscreen to cut back on the wind. Perhaps that will help.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 am

Errrmmm.....how old are you?

Are you stretching a tiny bit before you ride?
Perhaps some stretches that work the back muscles a little?

Honestly, unless you're doing lots of freeway riding, I can't see how wind would really be huge issue if you've otherwise never had any back problems before.

Are you hunching over? Perhaps sitting too far back on seat?

Maybe some different handlebars would help? Higher risers?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm

You can ask how old I am. I don't care. I'll be 60 here in a couple of months. I've never had back problems, but the old carcass just isn't what it used to be. I might have been sitting too far back or hunched over. I'll have to try multiple adjustments to get it right.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Hey, don't feel bad. I had back surgery a little over a year ago to fuse L5 and S1 and I'm only 42! :)
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm

On the highway I scoot my rear back a bit and then lean forward into the wind. Not a lot, just a bit (unless its cold, then you might see me full tuck lol) Gravity does all of the wind fighting for me.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Yep, me too. I rarely ride on the street but when I do I'm always changing positions to stay comfy. It's no Goldwing... :)
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

GusinCA wrote:
Yep, me too. I rarely ride on the street but when I do I'm always changing positions to stay comfy. It's no Goldwing... :)

Yep, all over the place. On the down side, that makes the mirrors USELESS.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Mirrors? Where we're going we don't need mirrors... :)
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I strongly recommend standing on the pegs for brief but frequent intervals.
Back to top Go down
Counselor

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I just wanted to say. Go Gators.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back Pain? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pain?   Back Pain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Back Pain?
Page 1 of 1