Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First bike... thinking out loud

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mdwalsh

First bike... thinking out loud Empty
PostSubject: First bike... thinking out loud   First bike... thinking out loud EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 am

I have always wanted a bike. I am heavier than most though, id be around 300 with my gear on (i have an athletic build), from what ive read and a buddy of mine with a wr250r who is a couple of lbs lighter has told me it wont be an issue especially if i geared down a little.

I have been looking at the WR250X. I like the look of it, the lightness of it, and the ease at which it is to work on. id be riding the bike to and from my college about 25 miles round trip, no highway, and down to the main campus which is around 50 miles round trip mostly highway.

would the WR250x be a good viable bike for me to learn the ropes of motorcycling on and enjoy my riding?

also any tips for getting parents on board with a motorcycle would be appreciated cheers

Matt
Back to top Go down
Counselor

PostSubject: Re: First bike... thinking out loud   First bike... thinking out loud EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am

I'm the buddy refereed to above. So I thought I'd respond.

I wanted to comment on a couple of things.

1. Sign up for the motorcycle-safety class (i wouldn't even tell your parents). Sign up, go to it, then show them your certification. Let them see that you are serious about a motorcycle and serious about motorcycle safety.
2. I don't know your parents level of knowledge on motorcycles, but there is a huge difference between a wr250x and a r6. They need to know that you CAN'T go flying down I-45 at 140 mph.
3. I would suggest that you ditch the idea of riding I-45 to campus. Will the bike handle the highway, yes of course. But as a beginner rider, I would steer you away from the interstate for a while.
4. Don't forget you are still loosing weight, so 300lbs today will be 295lbs next week, etc etc.

The nice thing about the 250 is that is has enough power to do everything you want with a smile on your face, without getting you in trouble. It has amazing brakes, super reliable, modifiable (apparently in motorcycle land they use the term "farkle" to mean modify. As in, I "farkled" out my bike. Odd I know.

mdwalsh wrote:
I have always wanted a bike. I am heavier than most though, id be around 300 with my gear on (i have an athletic build), from what ive read and a buddy of mine with a wr250r who is a couple of lbs lighter has told me it wont be an issue especially if i geared down a little.

I have been looking at the WR250X. I like the look of it, the lightness of it, and the ease at which it is to work on. id be riding the bike to and from my college about 25 miles round trip, no highway, and down to the main campus which is around 50 miles round trip mostly highway.

would the WR250x be a good viable bike for me to learn the ropes of motorcycling on and enjoy my riding?

also any tips for getting parents on board with a motorcycle would be appreciated cheers

Matt

Last edited by Counselor on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: First bike... thinking out loud   First bike... thinking out loud EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm about 6'3" 275. The bike handles the weight fine. I've even ridden two up on it. The only issue is I LOOK huge on it. Vain I know, but it wears on your being told you are too big for your bike. Feel like people are judging me lol. Been riding my VTX1800 more and more because of that, and because its my new toy. I miss the sharp agile handling.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: First bike... thinking out loud   First bike... thinking out loud EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Counselor wrote:
"....there is a huge difference between a wr250x and a r6. They need to know that you CAN'T go flying down I-45 at 140 mph.

Even assuming adult-like behavior and a reasonable level of responsibility you are as likely to die on an R6 as you are a WR from some DUI wack job or mini-van mom texting.

In fact you don't have to be on either moving to be a casualty. There could be the same result on a ten-speed. I was almost killed sitting still at an intersection from a car from behind going 60 MPH right through the red light.

Either way, parents who are not M/C enthusiasts are not likely to endorse their kid riding one. Parental emotions override statistics and logic (even training or decades of riding experience).

So while age, speed and experience may be a factor in 'Most', it is not in 'All'. It can be ugly out there on an interstate and shit happens in milliseconds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First bike... thinking out loud   First bike... thinking out loud Empty

Back to top Go down

First bike... thinking out loud
Page 1 of 1