Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TexaNate

Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? Empty
PostSubject: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey all,

I bought my WR250R used and the radiator is in rough nick. Many fins are bent and there is a spot in the middle that looks like a branch gave it a good poking - the previous owner had removed the plastic guard. I just ordered a Flatland radiator guard. Should I order a new radiator as well?

Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? Image-5_zps78050513

I've taken the WR out a few times and while the fan has switched on from time to time (I ride a lot of slow/tight stuff) the overheating light doesn't come on (it comes on when I first turn the key, meaning the sensor circuit should be OK). There are no leaks, radiator or otherwise. Today I checked my radiator fluid and noticed it was on the minimum bar according to the sight glass, so I thought I would top it off (the engine was stone cold, of course). However, under the filler cap, the radiator appears full to the brim. What gives?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm

That plastic bottle with the sight glass thing is a reservoir of coolant that is not piped with coolant through the large hoses you see connecting the engine, radiator, and water pump together.
Adding coolant to the radiator will not automatically raise the level in the reservoir, and vice versa, because the coolant in the reservoir just sits there until it may be needed.

The reservoir is there in case you overheat things to the point that the coolant in the radiator system boils over.
Instead of pouring out of the radiator onto the ground, it gets piped via a small hose into the reservoir.
When things cool down enough, the coolant piped into the reservoir gets sucked back into the radiator.
You're supposed to keep some coolant in the reservoir in order to keep the inlet into the reservoir covered.
Whenever you change the radiator coolant, change the reservoir coolant, too.

Myself, I'd get a new radiator unless I had zero money.
Back to top Go down
TexaNate

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:15 pm

YZEtc wrote:
That plastic bottle with the sight glass thing is a reservoir of coolant that is not piped with coolant through the large hoses you see connecting the engine, radiator, and water pump together.
Adding coolant to the radiator will not automatically raise the level in the reservoir, and vice versa, because the coolant in the reservoir just sits there until it may be needed.

The reservoir is there in case you overheat things to the point that the coolant in the radiator system boils over.
Instead of pouring out of the radiator onto the ground, it gets piped via a small hose into the reservoir.
When things cool down enough, the coolant piped into the reservoir gets sucked back into the radiator.
You're supposed to keep some coolant in the reservoir in order to keep the inlet into the reservoir covered.
Whenever you change the radiator coolant, change the reservoir coolant, too.

Myself, I'd get a new radiator unless I had zero money.

Perfect response! I should've known it was a reservoir...

Is there any particular place I should buy a radiator for less than $200?
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 6:57 pm

I picked mine up off of ebay for 159.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I wouldnt replace it, the rads on my gasgas looked like that when I got it and dont leak, I put rad guards on it when I got it and they havent gotten any worse since.
IMO its not beat up too bad at all, I've seen guys running rads that were twisted and mangled without issue, if its not leaking and your bikes not over heating its fine.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:19 pm

I bent my rad supports a couple times, nothing major. So far so good

My buddy slid out in a slickery rut, bent the rad a little, and started leaking.

If the core wasnt mangled bad, i'ld keep using it.

You can usually find water to get home if your wrong...,well, hope so...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?   Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace? Empty

Back to top Go down

Radiator mashed a bit but not leaking - replace?
Page 1 of 1