Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

replace or repair radiator

Go down 
+10
BluePill
BPG
Chadx
SheWolf
King Wolf
macfast
2Wheelz
ZED
longtallsally
trophy cup
14 posters
AuthorMessage
trophy cup

replace or repair radiator Empty
PostSubject: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I've had my WR for a couple of months but not much time to ride. I finally had a trip planned which included a stop to visit a friend in Fayetteville and then after that two days at our place in the Ouachitas.

The ride in Fayetteville was great and my WR kept up with my friends KTM big single with no issues on gravel roads and paved. I road his bike and have to say the WR is much smoother.

I then trailered the bike to our place in the Ouachitas and while backing up the trailer hit a big rut which caused one of the strap hooks to come off. Not sure how as the suspension was well compressed. I will never use open hooks again even though I've had no issues in the last 30 years.

When the strap came off the bike tipped onto the trailer and the radiator on the left side did a great job of saving the rest of the bike. The radiator caught the sharp edge of the trailer which but a good dent in it. No leaks but the fan bracket is bent so it won't run. I'm very good with mechanics so I'll pull it off and see if I can get it close to a workable shape. The verticle tubes do not appear to be crimped so if I can press the outside bracket back it may come back into shape. New rad is $400 and not sure how much if I send it off for repair. I will be making a guard for the rad to protect from side impacts going forward.

If I do send out for repair anyone know who to use?
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 2:47 am

Thankfully I've not run into this, but if a replacement is 4 bills, I'd like to know.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:50 am

Ouch! That's tough. I had that happen on a KLR. I'm kind of leery about long travel suspension on trailers now. eeek

We were looking at getting my wife's radiator repaired, but then found another supplier that could get the genuine part for half of what the dealer was quoting, so we went that way. A repair seems interesting, but unless they re-core it I don't see how they can repair them. And, wouldn't re-coring it cost about the same as a new one? scratch

You'll have to post the details if you either find a cheaper radiator source or if you get it repaired.
Back to top Go down
trophy cup

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 pm

If anyone knows of a source for yamaha parts at reasonable prices let me know. I'll try to work of the bent rad this coming weekend as my track day car project is nearly finished
Back to top Go down
2Wheelz

2Wheelz

PostSubject: Best Yamaha parts prices.   replace or repair radiator EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey Trophy cup,

The best Yamaha parts prices I've found are South Seattle Yamaha Sports Plaza in Washington state. I've purchased a few items and they are 30% cheaper than my local Yamaha dealer here in Duluth, MN. Great service and quick shipping with your Internet order. thumb

Here's their site addy:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 am

2Wheelz wrote:
Hey Trophy cup,

The best Yamaha parts prices I've found are South Seattle Yamaha Sports Plaza in Washington state. I've purchased a few items and they are 30% cheaper than my local Yamaha dealer here in Duluth, MN. Great service and quick shipping with your Internet order. thumb

Here's their site addy:

I think that http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com has the best online parts prices.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 pm

macfast wrote:
2Wheelz wrote:
Hey Trophy cup,

Here's their site addy:

I think that http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com has the best online parts prices.

So what are the shipping prices like for both these sites? Just wondering
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Near 20% S&H.
Back to top Go down
trophy cup

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks for the input regarding sources for a new rad.

Last night I decided to try fixing it myself as it wasn't leaking. Even tough it have a triangle dent in the side that went in 1 inch and about 3 inches wide at the widest point my neighbor and I gave it a try.

I cut some pieces of wood to fit around the various brackets and we slowly worked the aluminum back into shape with a hammer and after 3 hours it worked!!!

Will fill and test it today if all goes well.
Back to top Go down
trophy cup

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:23 am

Bending the rad back into shape worked! The coolant flowed as it should and the fan can on.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 am

thumb Gotta love DIY fixes. Makes it all the more worthwhile.

macfast

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 pm

If you cant fix it, I have used Mylers Aluminum Radiator Repair,Mylers returns fixed radiators in 1 day.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Nice work! Make sure you keep an eye on your coolant holding tank to ensure the level stays within recommendations. If there are any light weeps, you might not detect them, but over time, you could lose some coolant. Probably an obvious statement, but thought I'd mention it because that is one of those things you might stop paying attention to in a couple weeks then 4 months down the road, you realize your coolant level is low. Your nose will probably be the best tool. Easy to detect the smell of coolant even if it's in vapor form.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 1:19 pm

I had an interesting issue w/ my radiator recently. Was doing some off-trail blazing and managed to ram into a decent-sized branch that caught the bike right at the radiator and threw me & the bike down.

I popped the stock plastic radiator guard off and was relieved to see that there was no damage at all to the front of the radiator - all the fins looked like new! Rode home, and rode it to work several times after.

2 nights ago I was riding home and smelled anti-freeze. I could see that the lower portion of the radiator was wet, but couldn't track down the source of the leak. Stripped off all the shrouds to find that the fan had jammed up against the back of the radiator, when it was spinning it actually ground through 3 of the vertical radiator tubes. replace or repair radiator 490865

Cleaned it up real good and JB-Welded it, let it sit overnight and still leaked. I then poured some Aluma-seal into the radiator - no visible leaks (bone dry!), although I can still smell a faint hint of antifreeze occasionally.

upshot:

1) buy a radiator guard!

2) if you smack the radiator hard from the front, check that the fan brackets haven't pushed the fan into the radiator. Had I checked that after my incident, I'd have a perfect radiator instead of a slightly compromised one...
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm

trophy cup wrote:
Bending the rad back into shape worked! The coolant flowed as it should and the fan can on.

I've seen aluminum auto radiators and a/c condensors start to leak sometimes months after an accident. I've always assumed that a weakened section finally fails after repeated heat/cool cycles. In addition to watching your level, it might be wise to carry some extra coolant to get you home if a leak starts on the road. I use old 1 quart rectangular plastic oil bottles to cary extra gas and coolant. They are zero cost, and fit easilly into various types of carriers. I bag them in 1 gallon size ziplocs just in case they might leak.
Back to top Go down
poindexter

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 am

Flatland radiator guards looks pretty good. Hopefully Unabiker or even Moose Rcing will come out with armor that is a little more substantial. As it is very important to protect the radiiator is there any need to protect the left side of the bike where the coolant reservoir is located?
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 5:47 pm

macfast wrote:
If you cant fix it, I have used Mylers Aluminum Radiator Repair,Mylers returns fixed radiators in 1 day.
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
Back to top Go down
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 3:23 am

Helps every timehttp://www.forceaccessories.com.au/store2/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=58
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 am

+10 replace or repair radiator 61865 Force makes a bulletproof guard. Seems that all of the stuff comin from Oz is that way; my skid plate is, gives absolutely no noise resonance like the others.

PostSubject: Force radiator guards   replace or repair radiator EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 am

I purchased the Force radiator guard a few weeks ago. After placing my order from the Austrialia company delivery to my porch here in the Seatte area only took about 5 days. The guard is strong beyond belief and the fit is perfect taking only about 30 minutes from beginning to end to install it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 am

BPG: The JB solution is an immediate (emergency) fix. Been there, JB'd that.

Long term (perhaps even short term) reliability is compromised as eventually (and sooner than you want of course) the prolonged thermal excursions will jeopardize the JB fix.

You'll need to find a better repair (or replacement) and THEN get a guard.

...and of course watch out for those trees there George of the Jungle !

ZED: What was your resource ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: replace or repair radiator   replace or repair radiator Empty

Back to top Go down

replace or repair radiator
Page 1 of 1