Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Urgent!! Help needed.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bfgjohno

Urgent!! Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 am

Hi there,
I've a big trip coming up in 2 weeks and being as organised as ever Shog I've realised that I need two new seal guards to protect the front of my swing arms! Tricky in the festive season to find anyone open and then to get the parts out here to darkest Kenya. It might have to be DHL.
So does anyone have a couple of these lying around? Unlikely I know. Alternatively anyone a bright idea how I might fabricate something locally to protect the swing arm? Perhaps securing a strip of steel plate?
Any advice or ideas welcomed!
In the meantime Christmas greetings from Kenya.
All the best
John
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 10:55 am

Can you go here: click me please <-- hope this works...click it

And be more specific about what you want/need?

Not that I can help you, but it might make it easier for somebody else to help.

Good luck.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 11:28 am

Most people call the seal guards the chain slider.
The chain eating it is a common problem.
If you cant buy one before your ride and try to make one... Use strips of plastic cutting board (similar material to the stock guard) on top and bottom of the swingarm with a piece of thin sheat metal connecting them with tiny screws through the metal piece into the pieces of gutting board, then bolt it to the swingarm just like the stocker. You can heat the cutting board and bend it to match the shape of the swingarm.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 11:37 am

So he needs p/n 3D7-22151-00-00

I guess his asking for two threw me off a bit.

At any rate - that kind of information might help somebody else too. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks folks,
Seal guard did seem a strange description on the microfiche for what is a chain guide. There's two bikes that need this part.
The DIY solution with the carving boards seems like a goer. I'll have a go at ordering the parts tomorrow and pop into the supermarket and see what I can find as well.
Thanks for the help - any more tips very welcome!
John
Back to top Go down
bfgjohno

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 am

Ways to spend Christians eve!
Volunteered to do the supermarket shop and threw into the cart a nylon chopping board as biglake suggested. Then retired to shed......

Ended up cutting an oblong out of the inferior part of the guide - including the worn part. Then cut a piece of chopping board to the right size, heat bend the front end and drilled fine holes sideways through remaining part of guide and on into chopping board piece. Placed these as near to swing arm surface as they would go safely. Then fine screws to hold one to other. Final trim to shape and size and - "bob's your uncle" - a replacement chain slide.

Will need to keep an eye on wear and movement and probably slip some silicone between swing arm and guide to stop mud packing in there but should serve the purpose until the shops reopen and I can order some new guides.

Thanks to john gott in Uk for his idea.

Happy Christmas!

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Urgent!! Help needed.   Urgent!! Help needed. Empty

Back to top Go down

Urgent!! Help needed.
Page 1 of 1