Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do i need a new tune?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Driftns2k

Do i need a new tune? Empty
PostSubject: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Just picked up a 2008 wrx used with 3k miles. Performance mods include: full fmf exhaust, DIY air box, custom tune.

I live in DT chicago and am planning on riding this bike all year round for my 3 mile commute. (snow should be fun Very happy) The gentleman i baught the bike from siad he had in tuned when it was 70 degree's out. Currently i'm riding in 10-35 degree weather. I let the bike warm up for about 1-2 mins before riding. After taking off right away when i come to idle the bike wants to stall somtimes. Also the power band seems hessitant. I'm wondering if i need to get a power commander or programmer to get the bike retuned for the cold weather???? Also at times when i shift the exhaust pops really loud. I thinking it might be running lean?

Would removing the AIS help at all?
Also what programmer do ya'll recoomend that isn't gonna brake the bank.

thanks,
chris
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm

How does it have a custom tune if you already don't have a Power Commander or other programmer?
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Check to see if you already have an FMF programmer on there. A custom tune requires a programmer of some sort.

I DO notice a difference when it is cold out, but I have not played with the FMF programer settings to adjust to the cold. I don't ride nearly as hard in the cold, so I haven't bothered. It does stumble a little when I first get going. And the current tires slip a lot when the temps are below freezing.
Back to top Go down
Driftns2k

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 pm

I did not see any aftermarket programmer or ecu plugged in. I went off the sellers word thinking that the ECU was just flashed. I know with some cars you can do that, wasn't sure about these bikes tho...

perhaps i should just assume that the bike is running lean with the full exhaust and get a programmer?

any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 am

Driftns2k wrote:

perhaps i should just assume that the bike is running lean with the full exhaust and get a programmer?

any thoughts?
Bingo.
If you've got the coin a Power Commander with Autotune would be great. You set the AFR and it will adjust as needed while you ride. This would be ideal in your case where you plan to ride year round.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do i need a new tune?   Do i need a new tune? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do i need a new tune?
Page 1 of 1