Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Avon Distanzia

Go down 
+7
Chrispy1200
PonchoV
OOk
f3joel
motokid
mwakey
INSTIGATOR
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PonchoV

Avon Distanzia - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avon Distanzia   Avon Distanzia - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 pm

MY OPINION only about tubes & replacements.

I change my stock tubes to the thickest walled tube I can find/buy. Then I nearly never replace that 8 mill or 11 mill tube. I also put at least 8 oz of Ride-On in each tube.

& for the record Ride-On is not like Slim. Have used both & no matter who says what they are not the same.

Have found the thicker the tube the harder it is to pinch a tube in tire mounting.....I do my own tire changing too.

Tubes do wear thin & thiner as you ride. There is alway a little friction between the inter walls of the tire & the outer walls of the inter tube. This friction also keeps a tube type tire run a little hotter from a like size & style tubless tire on the same bike.

Please do tell me someone had an uncle who got 20k out of a tubed tire & then only 10k when they went tubless.
I'm sure there is an exception to most any rule.

Dealers enjoy selling tubes based on "safety issue".
I enjoyed over 25,000 miles on my 08 KLR w/ a 8 mill tube.
Stock tube was thin after the first 5,000 miles. It should have been replaced.
Just be carefull when dismounting your tires & inspect your thick tubes carefully w/ a little air inside it to get a better view. You should carry a couple new valve cores & caps as back ups. I kept my stock tubes as a back up when riding away from home. Cheap insurance but used them on another rider's bike.
Inspect the little spoke nipple liner during each tire change too.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Avon Distanzia   Avon Distanzia - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:18 pm

mash100 wrote:
Reports of tyres/tires toasting after 2000 miles seems really early. In the UK, legal minimum tread depth is 1mm, but even then, only around 75% of the tyre. I bought my X with 2000 miles on the clock, & around 2mm tread at the centre of the tyre; the BT090s I think will last to at least 3500 miles. I guess the previous owner had not really ripped up the tarmac very much!! Anyway, what is the legal minimum tread in US/Canada/elsewhere?

There is no legal minimum here. I wore my rear Dist-SM a little into the wear bars in 3000 miles. That is 1000 miles more than the OEM 090s. By that time, traction on gravel or bad pavement was noticeably worse. On my last ride, I had several slides including one pucker moment in a two wheel slide on a road I knew well at around my usual speed (never with any drama previously). The front Dist probably had another 1000 - 2000 miles, so I'd consider the non-SM Dist if I get another 90/10 tire.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Avon Distanzia   Avon Distanzia - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Ordered my set of Distanzias from Motostrano just now.

$255.44 shipped for the pair.

120/70HR17
150/70HR-17

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avon Distanzia   Avon Distanzia - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Avon Distanzia