Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wobble after maintenance.

Go down 
+3
pbnut
YZEtc
mdr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mdr

Wobble after maintenance. Empty
PostSubject: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm

I just had some maintenance done on my 2010 WRR:

UHD tubes f/r
MT43 f/r (no rim lock, not balanced, running 20 psi f/r)
Chain
Sprocket f/r (47 rear now)
Greased rear suspension and head
Reset the sag, but not convinced I did it right

Prior to this, bike had no wobble at highway speeds. Just gave the bike a ride today and it gets a minor to medium wobble right at 40 mph. It's almost pulsing in the wobble, rather than constant.

I'm looking for things to check, places to go to first. I'd also like to know if the rear axle blocks should have the same amount of distance from the notch. My left side is six from the rear most mark, my right is 8 from the rear most mark. Will this do it? I'm wondering if this is making my wheel off center?

New to bikes, trying to pick up as much as I can here, so forgive easily if there is something blatant that I'm missing :).

m
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Balance the wheels.
Then try it.

Chain adjuster blocks have lines that are used with a line on the swingarm.
Should be at the same line from the rear of the blocks on each side.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 am

mdr wrote:

Head, as in steering head? Where the forks attach to the frame? If so I'd go back to there.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 am

pbnut wrote:
mdr wrote:

Head, as in steering head? Where the forks attach to the frame? If so I'd go back to there.

No doubt.

Still go back and fix those chain adjuster blocks like YZTEC said. That's what those lines are for.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

Virtually every wobble I've ever had came from the front of the bike.

Some of what can be wrong:

Bad tire (out of round)
Bad rim (lose or broken spokes, dented or out of round rim) common with wheelie machines
Bad tire installation (not on the bead well)
Bad front wheel re-installation (didn't pull the forks down to set the alignment before tightening the pinch bolts).
Lose steering head (kinda rare, at least in my experience)

Never had to balance a front knobby...lucky I guess.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 am

the new tires should have a yellow stamp on them. This is the heavy side of the tire and should be installed exact opposite of valve stem for balancing. When installing the rear, if you look straight down at the top of the sprocket, you can see if the sprocket is riding in the center of the chain windows. I put the bike on the stand and let it idle in first gear while centering. If you look really close you can get that chain perfectly riding in the center of the chain. If you dont, your gonna wear out your sprockets. thumb
Back to top Go down
mdr

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks all.

I'm going to look into it this weekend.

I'm not seeing any sort of dot on the MT43 for balancing. Can anyone confirm that there is one?

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 am

Not all tires have a yellow dot.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 am

I think it's Dunlop that has the dot and it indicates the lightest part on the tire, as I recall.
Back to top Go down
NAL250R

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 am

Probably the tire. My last set of tires were MT43 front and rear also. The front had a really bad side to side wobble. The stock trailwings did not. I trued the wheel which helped some but the tire still had a lot of wobble. Replaced it with a T63 no more wobble. Also my MT43 had a mark which I lined up with the valve stem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wobble after maintenance.   Wobble after maintenance. Empty

Back to top Go down

Wobble after maintenance.
Page 1 of 1