Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wheels swap r to x

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cloudbuster

wheels swap r to x Empty
PostSubject: wheels swap r to x   wheels swap r to x EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi I was thinking about swapping the tires from time to time. For when I be riding only city, unpaved roads.
Would it be better to get the X wheels or just get another set of R wheel with less aggressive tires?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
94rjc

wheels swap r to x Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels swap r to x   wheels swap r to x EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 5:31 pm

cloudbuster wrote:
Hi I was thinking about swapping the tires from time to time. For when I be riding only city, unpaved roads.
Would it be better to get the X wheels or just get another set of R wheel with less aggressive tires?
Thanks.

Putting more road tires on would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new rims, wheels etc.

Getting something such as these would be fine - http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/scorpion_mt_90_a-t.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Doff-road

I've heard putting sumo wheels on an R can throw it off a little bit also.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

wheels swap r to x Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels swap r to x   wheels swap r to x EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 6:23 pm

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. of course, getting proper 17s will give you the best feeling and will be most fun for staying strictly on the road. however, it tends to be quite pricey.

another route you can go is to get some good dual purpose tires. this also depends on the type of off road you do. if you are mostly doing trails/ fire roads/ logging trails I find DS tires hold up fine and you can still get decent mileage out of them on pavement, as well as good road feedback. Im currently on heidenau scouts, work great on the road and in the wet. they're supposed to get to at least 8,000 road miles, and don't handle too bad off road. air them down all the way, and try to stay away from mud and slippery/wet grass and it's good!

but then, if I had the cash I would go for a set of 17s. if you want to go the cheaper/easier route, you can get 17s with the smaller front rotor, so that you don't have to switch caliper and stuff. or you have to upgrade to the bigger rotor on the 21" wheel. I think it would be too much pain in the a** if you also had to swap out the whole brake assembly every time to switch wheels.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

wheels swap r to x Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels swap r to x   wheels swap r to x EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm

If you get X wheels you will probably need new fork tube protectors as well as the tires will rub the R protectors. Once the X specific protectors are on though, they will be OK for both size wheels.

The new protectors are about $25 plus shipping for the set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wheels swap r to x Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels swap r to x   wheels swap r to x Empty

Back to top Go down

wheels swap r to x
Page 1 of 1