Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

If you would have to do it again 250R or X

Go down 
+6
motokid
YZEtc
Prairieparson
IAmABug
Biglake
cloudbuster
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cloudbuster

If you would have to do it again 250R or X Empty
PostSubject: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

If me the guy asking about the wheels Very happy
I was talking with someone to buy his bike but he sold it already.
since im still looking should I focus on the X or the R.
I know there pretty much the same exept frame color, rotor, fork cover,caliper,tire size.

For those of you that have the opportunity to ride both or have both set of wheels would you still have gotten one over the other.

I will mostly ride in town paved/unpaved road, dirt, gravel. no jumping or extreme trial maybe try to ride in the park. I believe the road are big pebbles/loose gravel/ dirt.

most likely no matter which one I get I will end up getting the other set of wheels when I find one on sale here or ebay, not a high priority.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:23 pm

cloudbuster wrote:

I will mostly ride in town paved/unpaved road, dirt, gravel. no jumping or extreme trial maybe try to ride in the park. I believe the road are big pebbles/loose gravel/ dirt.

Thats R teritory forget getting a X.
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

I should have posted a picture of what the roads in the park look like.
Thanks.

If you would have to do it again 250R or X Oak_spring_trail_large

Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm

If I did it again I would go WRX then buy a set of R wheels as this I the cheaper way and less of a PITA for change over. Ideally I would have both.
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:18 am

I have 1600 miles on mine. No doubt, I am so glad I bought the R. Great off road and still very usable, and comfortable on surface streets.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 am

For riding terrain shown in that pic, I'd get a WR-250R as either the R or X can take to the street just fine, but riding off-road with (practically speaking) bald sport bike tires ain't my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am

I guess I'm just thinking ahead of time.
That way later I'm not regretting getting one over the other and just get the wheels.
You think for that I need the knobbies I tough that 50/50 tires would work on that type of road.
I guess Iamabug brought a good point it seem that x to r is less of a hassle. But I keep searching and get the best deal I can find whether if r or x. I did notice more used x on craiglist.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 am

cloudbuster wrote:
I guess I'm just thinking ahead of time.
That way later I'm not regretting getting one over the other and just get the wheels.
You think for that I need the knobbies I tough that 50/50 tires would work on that type of road.
I guess Iamabug brought a good point it seem that x to r is less of a hassle. But I keep searching and get the best deal I can find whether if r or x. I did notice more used x on craiglist.

If you're in North America - the last model year for the wr250x was 2011 I believe.

So finding an X in good shape is just going to get more and more difficult over time.
Which should help boost the prices of used ones as well. Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 am

Yes im in US of A!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

cloudbuster wrote:
I should have posted a picture of what the roads in the park look like.
Thanks.

If you would have to do it again 250R or X Oak_spring_trail_large

I ride my X down stuff like that all the time with michelin pilot powers on it. Does fine in a straight line, you just have to slow down enough to turn with almost no lean angle.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:07 am

This is the easiest answer to the easiest question in the world.

Do you want to have X rated run or R rated fun?

You may need a note from your momma to get time with an X bannana wings lurk

Last years big ride...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798205

The year before with my X style wheels and tires... (for an X. About a 20 minute swap)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701761

Now I am selling or really interested in selling my R set of wheels.

I love the extra front brake capacity, mostly because I am usually riding heavy.

With the Shinkos on my X wheels I have had more fun on and off pavement with cheap tires than should be possible. Thanks Scotty.

I am delighted.
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow with those knobbies it look that nothing will stop it
Now that I think about it it seem that with big/wide tires is better to go over sand/mud? or I'm wrong.

Now looking at buying and X. saw some with almost the same add ons. hard to pick one.
Like fellow mention is cheaper to get r wheel than x.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 pm

If I were back east on the cost in the Big city, no question I'd get an x. Best city bike ever!

Living in Alaska I want to get dirt wheels again, so much gravel and talks to explore.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Am I the only one who thinks a R model with stock or 50/50 tires handles more than good enough on the road?
I can ride fast enough anywheres to get speeding tickets on my R with knoobies plus it works great off road where I have the most fun.

Its not that you cant ride off road with a X model your just doing it the hard way, off road bikes have tall skinny tires for a reason, they work way better.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 pm

I think you have to consider where you will ride HARDEST, not only the MOST OFTEN.

Sure, an R2 with stock or similar tires is fine on the road but if you like to tear it up, leaning into everything, then you've got a problem.

Same for off-road. If you don't do much, but it's technical when you do, you've got a problem with the X.

I've found off-road, that no matter how tame the ride is expected to be, there was always at least one tough spot where I was glad to have the R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you would have to do it again 250R or X   If you would have to do it again 250R or X Empty

Back to top Go down

If you would have to do it again 250R or X
Page 1 of 1