Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

wobbling qusetion!!

Go down 
+4
Peterbuilt
motokid
IAmABug
motardmixion
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motardmixion

motardmixion

wobbling qusetion!! Empty
PostSubject: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm

hey guys, I live in the south bay area of CA. and some days its hella windy out here. even on the not so windy days, when im on the freeway doing about 70mph. i get freaked out because the bike wobbles side to side. and the bars start shaking. lol not good. is this just what these bikes do because there so light? or is there something i can do with the suspension to help reduce it.....I want a steering stabilizer but i cant afford one right now. would a stabilizer really help out this issue?

thanks for the input...

Evan
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I am sure the stabilizer would help out, but don't have experience with one. My bike gets blown back and forth on the highway by wind or passing vehicles. But, I never get head shake on the road unless I am playing around and being silly.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm sayin! Just scary lol but no not like tank slap. Had that a few times on my last sport bike. Maybe that's why I'm kinda nervous about it lol
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:38 am

Few things I can think of here.

1) you sure your tires are aligned properly? rear tire isn't crooked a tiny bit?
2) tires balanced
3) steering head bearings in good shape
4) are your tires a matching set - or is front a different brand/profile than rear
5) what tire pressure you running
6) What kind of wind resistance things you got on bike? Big mickey mouse mirrors? hand guards? larger front wind screen?
7) Stock front fender? Not trimmed?
8) are you gripping handlebars in a death grip?

So these bikes are not necessarily made for freeway riding.

Maybe it's a sign to stick to twistier, less traveled, and funner roads. wink

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 am

I know the bike will do this if the rear is lowered and the front is not..

So, if the back is lowered, you may have to lower the front a bit..
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am

motokid wrote:

Yep. My bike is a city bike but I just did my first long road trip on Tuesday. 220 miles. 140 miles of interstate Sleep and 80 of curvy mountain roads thumb

Got blown around plenty on the interstate but no wobbles. If you are really wobbling, check out motokid's suggestions.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am

Peterbuilt wrote:

Yep...I forgot about that one. thumb

Good call.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

motokid wrote:
Few things I can think of here.

1) you sure your tires are aligned properly? rear tire isn't crooked a tiny bit?
2) tires balanced
3) steering head bearings in good shape
4) are your tires a matching set - or is front a different brand/profile than rear
5) what tire pressure you running
6) What kind of wind resistance things you got on bike? Big mickey mouse mirrors? hand guards? larger front wind screen?
7) Stock front fender? Not trimmed?
8) are you gripping handlebars in a death grip?

So these bikes are not necessarily made for freeway riding.

Ill double check the rear tire with a tape measure, because i know the little marks on the blocks are aligned. but ill dbl check...
yes the tires are balanced.
My head bearings are great. no play
but my tires arnt a matching set....... I have the avon distanza up front, and the battleax BT016R in the rear, bought the bike like this......
running about 25 psi front and rear
no after market things like hand guards yet or a wind screen , took the stock mirrors off, running bar end mirrors for now

I have the stock front fender, but its chopped

maybe its the tire....idk, ill just double check everything, make sure everything is tight and straight. and just RIDE!

Thanks for all the great ideas...
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

motokid wrote:
Peterbuilt wrote:

Yep...I forgot about that one. thumb

Good call.

nope not lowered at all, no yamalink and the front forks havnt been lowered at all.

when i bought the bike i adjusted the rear sag for my weight but thats about it...and i softened up the front because the previous owner had them cranked all the way up
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: something I did notice   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm

I was playing around with it lastnight on the freeway, and this is what I came up with....

so riding at about 75mph with nothing around you, everything is okay....hardly any shake, just gets blown around a bit....

when right behind another car traveling the same speed.....DONT DO IT lol
thats when it gets schetchy!

The wind created from the car in front of me was blowing the little wrx all over the road and at 75mph. gets kinda creepy. so note to self. try and stay away from riding directly behind cars on the freeway...

Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Mine does this now I put hand guards and a windscreen on.

When I get to the freeway, I sit all the way forward, weight on the front, and this helps a lot.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 am

Okay, I'm planing on getting hand guards. Do the guards help keep your hands a little warmer? Block the wind a little?
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:30 am

motardmixion wrote:
Okay, I'm planing on getting hand guards. Do the guards help keep your hands a little warmer? Block the wind a little?

In reality...no.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:54 am

Just for the record here, my 2012 WRR has a similar front end "twitch" at speeds above 110 kph, mostly only if a bit windy or from wind buffet from other vehicles etc..... for me it seems like a fairly "normal" thing to expect from a relatively light weight 250 D/S, although i am hoping that this will improve slightly once i fit better quality DOT Knobbies & tweak the suspension height a little - but it's not really a major concern as it never really gets to a point of feeling dangerous as such.

Maybe also worth noting that my bike will get a similar slight head shake / twitch on the 5th to 6th upshift when accelerating hard under full throttle - and as i have the G2 Quick turn throttle tube it's not due to excessive "arm flap" on the throttle hand either ! lol.

Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:21 am

motardmixion wrote:
Do the guards help keep your hands a little warmer? Block the wind a little?

I'm gonna say yes - a little.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 am

With the right guards, yes they help. And if its raining, they help also, depends on how high your guards are though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wobbling qusetion!!   wobbling qusetion!! Empty

Back to top Go down

wobbling qusetion!!
Page 1 of 1