Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(

Go down 
+2
mrgeoff
oic0
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  Empty
PostSubject: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

I started off doing 70mpg, it was awesome. Then it was high 60s. Then it was mid 60s. Then it was high 50s. Now days I get low 50s :(
I assume its probably my wrist and a few lbs Ive put on, but it still sucks :( . Owning another faster street bike doesn't help either. Makes me push the WR trying to get what comes effortlessly to the other.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I had to try REAL hard to get the mileage back up again recently, its not easy, the bike is too much fun :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 pm

oic0 wrote:
I started off doing 70mpg, it was awesome. Then it was high 60s. Then it was mid 60s. Then it was high 50s. Now days I get low 50s :(
I assume its probably my wrist and a few lbs Ive put on, but it still sucks :( . Owning another faster street bike doesn't help either. Makes me push the WR trying to get what comes effortlessly to the other.

I'm in the low 50's all the time. Mostly due to mods, gearing, and throttle hand.

Still beats the hell out of riding in my Civic. Much more fun too.

What mods and gearing do you have?

A few things you can do.

1) take bike back to stock condition (boring)
2) change how you ride (boring)
3) buy a 50cc scooter (boring)
4) don't sweat it - ride her like you stole her and smile the whole time doing it

I opt for #4 - the rest is up to you

Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 pm

14:47 gearing.
No air box door, side panel drilled, no-toil filter that uses no backfire screen
FMF powercore with quiet insert (quiet my ass).
FMF programmer with pretty standard settings. Had to richen it up a hair after the new filter and side panel holes.

I have gotten good mileage with these mods before, upper 60s, I just seem to be incapable of it now. Commuting seems to net me the best mileage since I'm stuck behind cars that drive under the speed limit and leave lights at a snails pace. Also, the quiet core insert feels like it maybe made the low to mid range stronger, but perhaps the very top end weaker... but without it the bike barks like an MX race machine and spits fire when you shift (I didnt eliminate AIS).

All told, the bike is still pretty slow, but a fun bike none the less. If only it had about 70hp and the same reliability and weight... it would be the perfect bike... I would never look at another.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Why you keeping the AIS on?

You want 70hp? eeek

Damn.....I'd be shit-grinning happy with 45 at this point.

Okay.....50.... wink

I've never, not ever seen 60 mpg. Even in stock trim.

I'm thinkin your throttle hand is just getting stronger. Peace YAM

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 pm

motokid wrote:
Why you keeping the AIS on?
cos it sounds cool Very happy
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Yep, 70 lol. My KX500 is ~65hp and weighs a lot less. I figure about 70 would get me the same feel on the WR Very happy Its a hoot. Trying to keep the front end down is a game lol, a difficult one. Sadly if the KX were street legal it would probably need frequent rebuilds and get 20mpg or less :( Last trail loop I did I was at half a tank at 18 miles, and that was taking it easy so my wife could keep up on a fourwheeler. But... if I could have that power in a dirt bike frame and the WRs reliability... along with some semblance of fuel economy... perfect bike!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

As an update. I just finished my first full tank after repacking my silencer. I went back up to 60mpg (90 miles, held 1.5 gallons), including a 30 miles at 75mph. Means I might get back to 65mpg on my regular 35-65mph commute Very happy . It also gained a lot of power from the mid range up. Enough so that it reduced my desire to get a different bike.
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Mine seemed to get better MPG during the summer (70). In the winter it dropped to 60..maybe temp related? Will be interesting to note as summer approaches.
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I only get about 40mpg.. but that's with the 12 O'clock Labs speedo healer..

I haven't touched the FMF programer since I got it back from Dobeck..

Doesn't matter tho.. That added power with the big bore is nuts!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  EmptySat May 04, 2013 2:24 am

40 yikes. You could get that from a liter bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(    The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(  Empty

Back to top Go down

The longer I own the bike, the worse my mileage gets :(
Page 1 of 1