Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Power

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kurt250

Kurt250

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Power    Power  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am

Wanting to Run a 12v socket to charge iPhone GPS and other items but only when Key is On , What Wires and Where , Help ?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 pm

You could test at any fuse for ignition hot and tap a wire in but I wouldnt recommend it without conducting a proper amp draw to make sure the wire is fused properly and can withstand the draw. The quickest, easiest - is fuse it and land your wire to the battery. Just dont forget you 12v socket will be hot at all times. If I look into the wiring a little better, I'll let you know. thumb
Back to top Go down
Kurt250

Kurt250

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 am

That you be awsum if you did yer i was worried about wires handling the tap , headlight ive seen a few tap into
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Look at your phone charger head that plugs into the wall and see what the output is. Mine charges at .4A which is only 400 Milliamps. This would be nothing on a 14 guage wire rated for 10 amps. Guess I was being a little over cautious at first but better safe that sorry. Im used to running circuits at work and figuring out amp draws. Chech on the gps also. The two apperatus you mentioned seem to be minimal compared to like heated gear or lights or something.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

The blue wires running into the front turn signals are for the running lights, and are on whenever the ignition is on. I used them to switch a relay, so I draw power from the battery but only when the running lights are on. Plus I have replacement turn signals, so the blue wire was cut and hanging loose anyway.

But I am running heated grips and a heated vest also, which is close to 7 amps, so the relay is a necessity. If you are just doing a GPS or phone charger, tapping the blue wire directly should be fine.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

This would be a perfect solution and thanks for the amp draw info on your gear dmmcd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power    Power  Empty

Back to top Go down

Power
Page 1 of 1